10 Minute DIY Baby/Pet Gate

About a month or so ago, we swapped a couple rooms on the first floor of our house (former playroom became office, former wasted space room became playroom). The new playroom was off the front entry, and had a large opening that we needed to barricade. French doors would have been a great solution EXCEPT they are pricey, and I didn't really want to close the room off entirely. And to buy a gate for that
10 minute diy baby pet gate, diy, fences, painted furniture, woodworking projects
Enter my genius hubby. I used to tease him about not being very handy, but I have to say...he's really coming around. He fabricated this DIY GATE (Baby or Pet...take your choice!) and it has worked out perfectly! Best part? It took a matter of minutes to build. It's also inexpensive to build. And it looks nice. Triple score!
We decided that we wanted our gates to be 36 inches tall, and measured the door opening to get the widths. We have now built 3 custom gates for three spaces in our house.
We used our miter saw to cut the pine boards to size. Then we laid everything out and determined the spacing for our slats. (TIP- we used a board length in between because it made for simple measuring...just use a spare to space them out!) I pre-drilled holes for the screws, then used the deck screws to connect. We added hinges and stepped back to admire:
I opted to stain the gates for a more cohesive look with the rest of our house. I had General Finishes Gel Stain left over from staining the pantry door, so that's what I used.
We build the initial gate and loved it so much that we have now replaced all those old white plastic gates in our home. Even though I don't love the idea of having gated rooms, the style of these gates make them much more tolerable! I still have to stain the two smaller gates, but you can get an idea of how they look!
For all the details, plus the supply list, stop by my blog post!
Jessica Coplen

• Bobbie

Hi how wide can you make this gate and how tall is it?

Thank you, Bobbie

• Danielle Whatsittoyou

She said in her post that they made their gates 36” tall. You could make them any width you needed them to be. Same with the height. I think the point was, simple way to make fit to size gates.

• Rod31458422

When measuring the width, do you subtract anything for the hinges?

• Danielle Whatsittoyou

it looks like the hinges they used are completely on the outside of the gate, so you wouldn’t need to do that.

• The23851897

What about slivers?