10 Minute DIY Baby/Pet Gate

About a month or so ago, we swapped a couple rooms on the first floor of our house (former playroom became office, former wasted space room became playroom). The new playroom was off the front entry, and had a large opening that we needed to barricade. French doors would have been a great solution EXCEPT they are pricey, and I didn't really want to close the room off entirely. And to buy a gate for that width?? Forget it! So expensive, and I really didn't even like the smaller ones we already had.
Enter my genius hubby. I used to tease him about not being very handy, but I have to say...he's really coming around. He fabricated this DIY GATE (Baby or Pet...take your choice!) and it has worked out perfectly! Best part? It took a matter of minutes to build. It's also inexpensive to build. And it looks nice. Triple score!
We decided that we wanted our gates to be 36 inches tall, and measured the door opening to get the widths. We have now built 3 custom gates for three spaces in our house.
We used our miter saw to cut the pine boards to size. Then we laid everything out and determined the spacing for our slats. (TIP- we used a board length in between because it made for simple measuring...just use a spare to space them out!) I pre-drilled holes for the screws, then used the deck screws to connect. We added hinges and stepped back to admire:
I opted to stain the gates for a more cohesive look with the rest of our house. I had General Finishes Gel Stain left over from staining the pantry door, so that's what I used.
We build the initial gate and loved it so much that we have now replaced all those old white plastic gates in our home. Even though I don't love the idea of having gated rooms, the style of these gates make them much more tolerable! I still have to stain the two smaller gates, but you can get an idea of how they look!
For all the details, plus the supply list, stop by my blog post!

30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Jessica Coplen

• The23851897
    The23851897

What about slivers?
    • Simply Raw
      Simply Raw

There are multiple ways to deal with this. Here are a few: purchase pre-finished wood, use finishing sand paper, or you can even incorporate a pair of tweezers in your diy design hahaa.

• Kelly
    Kelly

How are you attaching them?

• Yolande
    Yolande

How do you get to blog so I can completely see how to make this door? Really love this idea!! Thank you!

• Jill Dermer
    Jill Dermer

very nice!

• Yammy
    Yammy

I need to gate 3 openings as well to keep my collie/sheepdog out of there. I came up with the idea of using the boards from a wood pallet. These are easily available from many companies for free. Another idea I came up with is doing lattice inserts.