Recycle Your Avocado Shells into Art

Avocados are a wonderful fruit and their use doesn't just end once you eat them ~ you can use the skins for crafts and dyes.
3D Avocado Art
3D Avocado Art
To use the avocado skins for crafting it's best to start with a very ripe avocado. Remove the meat (I used mine for avocado cupcakes and an avocado butter cream frosting). It's important to make sure the skins are completely free of any avocado residue but this is easy if their ripe when you start.
3D Avocado Bunny Mounted and Framed
3D Avocado Bunny Mounted and Framed
The skins were placed in a low temperature oven and baked for approximately 90 minutes. Once cooled, they were painted white and accented with pink and black to make the cute little bunny you see above.
Avocado Bunny Glued to Burlap
Avocado Bunny Glued to Burlap
I simply glued the bunny parts to the burlap and I was set to frame him!
Fresh Avocado Skin
Fresh Avocado Skin
You can see the full set of directions in my post (link below).
Mary Beth

• Jewellmartin

I have never used avocado skins for crafts. I'll bet I could get a bag of skins at one of the many, many Mexican restaurants in my city. What color dye can I expect, black, dark green, pea green? And after baking, should the skins be kept in a fridge? Best wishes 😇
    • Andrea

no need, to put in cool storage , once they are dry they are hard and can eep a while. just that they do break easy after they are dried,

• Cindy

that is very adorable!

• Katrina Warren

@Mary Beth Very cute, is the inside of the avocado shell dried out enough once baked to paint that side for the ears instead?

• Mary Beth

Yes, @Katrina Warren, the inside of the ears are dried out enough once baked to paint them instead. :)