The Power of Paint: Shades of Grey Apartment Bathroom Reveal #PaintJob

It's finally time for an apartment renovation reveal! This post is basically the reason I wanted to start blogging! I know, I know, you were all expecting more on my son's owl bathroom that I've been working on and writing posts on over the past couple of months. Well we've been working on another bathroom at the same time! Overachieving is one word for it. Or glutton for punishment. Either way I'm up to my
the power of paint shades of grey apartment bathroom reveal paintjob, paint colors, painted furniture, painting
Since I started blogging last year all of the apartments have been occupied (except one that is getting a major overhaul, more on that another time) so we couldn't do any kind of updating or reno. Shortly after my lower unit grey apartment tour, the tenants living there put in their notice. While the apartment looked really nice, Cory felt a little sprucing up was necessary.
Here's a before shot of the bathroom right before I started painting. Livable but pretty dated if I do say so myself.
I started by painting the sad 80's wood vanity with some of my favorite new $5 Waverly chalk paint in the dark grey elephant color. Here's a before shot of the vanity right before I started painting.
Here's the vanity after painting. I painted the medicine cabinet to match and still had a tiny amount of paint left. We reused all the knobs, towel bars and toilet paper holder. Cory soaked them in paint deglosser overnight and then spray painted them oil rubbed bronze and put touches of worn penny paint on all the fixtures to give them a true oil rubbed look. He completed the process by spraying a clear coat on everything so that the paint won't knick or scratch off. I found a can of light grey oops paint that I had purchased a while ago for $12 to paint the walls to match the new vanity color.
The wall board in the bathroom was not the white color we would have preferred. It was in good shape just off white.
Instead of pulling it all down Cory decided to try a new product out to see if we could transform the wallboard for little cost and effort. For about $12 Cory purchased Zinsser Bondz. We already had the paint deglosser which Cory used first (so the Bondz would work even better) on the wall board by scrubbing it onto the surface and then he applied a coat, let it dry for a half hour and then painting on the Bondz primer.
After he painted the Bondz primer onto the wallboard and then finished with white paint and primer in one.
We are super excited with the outcome from the Bondz primer. The wall board looks fresh, clean and best of all white. We can't wait to use Bondz on one of the numerous surfaces it says you can paint on such as vinyl, garage doors, metal, glass etc.
My favorite part about this bathroom makeover is the feet on the claw foot tub. Ever since I bought a can of Rustoleum mirror effect spray paint for my gold glitter mercury glass pumpkin we've been looking to use it on tons of objects we want to be shiny silver. I suggested we paint the white claw feet on the tub to make them look more expensive. This was the easiest paint project in the bathroom. I cleaned the feet, taped them off and Cory sprayed them. Instant wow factor. Makes me wish I had this puppy in my own home...
Here's a picture of the completed bathroom. It's amazing what a little elbow grease and some paint can do to a room!
To see more projects from our mini-makeover at this apartment, including this entryway, tons more pictures or a complete tutorial, visit my blog :)
Thrifty Artsy Girl

• Did you sand the vanity before you painted it or use a stipper to remove the finish? I just wonder if only paint wll work. I have a chest that has a shiny finish that I want to paint but don't know the best way to do it. Thanks for your help and I LOVE the new look and colors!!

• Thrifty Artsy Girl

No sanding or stripping. That's the great thing about chalk paint! :) I wiped down the vanity to clean it, painted two coats of chalk paint and then used a clear coat to protect and seal it.

• Deborah Ann Martelle

looks great! What color gray is that? I am thinking of painting my bathroom too and I really like that color!

• Lisa Toal

waverly dark grey elephant color.....in the beginning of the article

• Margaret Robinson

Was the medicine cabinet wooden or metal?

• Debi53

Great creative ideas. Beautiful transformation. Love the gray.

• Adam Lee

This is really great inspirational ideas for grey painting our house. Its useful for decade to decade.