Update Your BRASS Fireplace Trim and Outdated Fireplace Tile

In less than 15 minutes, you can bring your fireplace up-to-date and looking as beautiful as it should. Getting rid of the brass is SO much easier than you think!
update your brass fireplace trim and outdated fireplace tile, fireplaces mantels, how to, painting
You guys. It’s 2016. If you still have this brass on the front of your fireplace, well our friendship is in serious trouble. It is a 15 minute project to paint the brass trim on your fireplace ... what are you waiting for?
This is the only thing you may have to go buy. It’s black spray paint designed for gas grills. If it’s good enough for a hot gas grill, it’s good enough for your fireplace front I promise! Of course, use wisdom in deciding if to paint near your fireplace and whether or not to turn off your pilot light for this project. You’ll need to ask someone smarter than I for this project.
Both Lowes and Home Depot carry the High Heat Rustoleum paint. If the spray version terrifies you, you can buy a quart of it on my affiliate link in the post and just brush it on. I’ll forgive you.
First, dust off the brass.
2nd, tape above and below it with good tape. Diamond Vogel 1.5 inch is my favorite painter’s tape. It’s like blue tape.
3rd, tape off or remove any handles you don’t want sprayed.
Then, tape newspaper all around being sure to have it on the hearth area especially as spray paint “falls”. Any “gaps” in the paper will get spray paint in it, so take your time on this step.
Then, crack a window. Hide your hubby and kids. It’s time to paint.
2 thin coats of the spray paint will more than cover the gold. It will take you less than 1 minute for each coat. Be sure you follow directions on the spray can. And if the site of my spraying something INSIDE of a house is giving you hives right now, then just get the paint in the quart form and brush it on. Lol. It’s all good either way. Visit the post for where to buy the brush on paint!
Here is a quick video for all of you visual learners!
And look at that. Seriously. So much better. So much more 2016. We can remain friends!
We painted the tile. Yes, we PAINTED IT. I demonstrated how in my Paint Finish of the Month club that I give painting techniques to every month. This was our February focus. If you would like to purchase the instructional videos showing me painting tile, simply drop us an email at info@themagicbrushinc.com . If you are pretty DIY savvy, head on over to the post for a list of materials.
And there you go. The entire transformation.
Jennifer Allwood

• Laura Swanson

If you taped the wooden part of the handles, how do they look black/painted in the end pic? Or did you replace them? Thx!

• Mike Williamson

Great job. I did that to my brass fireplace face as well. I first lightly sanded all the surfaces to be painted. After which I cleaned all the metal with a rag dampened with lacquer thinner. I brushed on 2 coats of water based paint. Spray is easier but the fumes are toxic and the over spray will drift all over the house. I'll try to include a before and after. What do you think?

update your brass fireplace trim and outdated fireplace tile, fireplaces mantels, how to, painting, Before no mantel tan everythingupdate your brass fireplace trim and outdated fireplace tile, fireplaces mantels, how to, painting, After including different wall paint

Great job Jennifer! Looks very clean and fresh.

• Marilynwatkins

Do you have a video on adding the tile. I still have the black backerboard on my fireplace and I would love to add tile.