How to Keep Nibblers From Your Garden!

If your plants have started to peek above the surface, it's time to protect them from would-be grazers.
Tell Bambi the salad bar is closed with a sprinkling of some strong smelling soap!
We've been using using Irish Spring as a deterrent the for past few years with great success.
I can't guarantee it will work for everyone (or every species...we primarily have deer and rabbits), but I can say that when we've had hostas and DIDN'T use the soap we went to bed with beautiful foliage, and woke up to lonely leaf stems.
Head to the supermarket and buy a 12-pack of soap.
We have a lot of yard, a lot of deer, and a few nice neighbors to share with, so I usually purchase three big packs and make extra.
Take out your food processor and using the shredder attachment....
...shred some 'Spring.
Then, spread some 'Spring around your garden!
The strong scent wards off critters and has protected our plants. Refresh with a new sprinkling every two to three weeks or after a heavy rain.
One 12-pack loosely fills my processor bowl three times.
How far it goes depends on the size of your garden and how liberally you spread it. We apply it as shown above, then just add a little more on occasion to freshen the scent.
(FYI: You might want to break out the vinegar to aid in cleaning up your food processor. No one wants soapy tasting cranberry-orange relish at Thanksgiving!)
REGARDING THE SOAP/SOIL QUESTIONS:
I called a local cooperative extension to clarify.
The helpful person noted that she also uses soap to protect her own plants with success...but thought that "excessive" use over a period of 10 years might have some effect. She did not think it was harmful to the plants.
REGARDING RABBITS, GROUNDHOGS, MICE, ELK, SKUNKS, SLUGS, LIZARDS ETC:
WOW! Ya'll have some variety of wildlife :) I'm sorry that some of your questions were beyond my experience. I didn't answer at first hoping that someone with additional experience or info might jump in (and thank you to those who did)...so sorry if anyone thought I was ignoring them. All I can say is we've been thrilled with this remedy where we've used it...and by many of the supportive comments, so have a lot of you. Happy Gardening!

21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
EmDirr @ DustandDoghair.com

• Shannon Patterson-McMains
    Shannon Patterson-McMains

Will the soap keep squirrels from digging up around in the dirt in my potted rhododendrons and Japanese maple? It's looking for nuts and digs in all the pots.

• Rita Linn
    Rita Linn

What about squirrels?

• Jane
    Jane

Doesn't the soap eventually dissolve and build up in the soil? I know a little detergent in a spray bottle can discourage insects, but wouldn't that much soap eventually get into the soil and kill the plants?

• EmDirr @ DustandDoghair.com
      EmDirr @ DustandDoghair.com

Honestly, hasn’t been a problem at all for my plants. I am taking a year off, though... a friend gave me a bag of milorganite. It’s pretty strong smelling, and they don’t seem to be interested.

• Connie
    Connie

You can sprinkle dog hair around your garden and plants. It keeps bunnies and deer away

• Stan
    Stan

I have been using soap for a few years now, but instead of shaving it I drill a hole in the bar and hang it from a shepherds hook. I do this in the winter also to keep the deer from eating my blueberry bushes.

• Donna
      Donna

I cut off chunks and put it in cheese cloth and hang it on my young trees to keep the bucks from rubbing in them.