DIY Lighting

I have a growing obsession with DIY lights due to my constant need for change (light fixtures cost too much to change very often)! In case any one else has this problem, I thought I might share three easy ways I've DIY-ed on a dime...well like ten bucks plus things I already had.
I made two of these for my front porch. Just wrap icicle lights around a quilting hoop. Super easy, and they put out a ton of light!
I replaced the glass shades on this fixture above my sink for a whole new look.
The shades on the fixture above my sink were too big and not my style..
This fixture has large wing nuts that hold up the glass, so it made it an easy change.
Just put on a canning jar lid first (which I fully intend to paint to match the fixture...someday)
tighten the nut then screw on your jar. Easy.
The next took a bit of wiring, which I won't get into here.
I found a board I love, then my husband drilled three holes spaced to accomidate the size of the baskets and sized to fit some purchased light sockets.
I used a rubber band to help hold the socket at the depth I wanted it while a ran a bead of hot glue around it on the other side. You'll have to get someone who knows about wiring to get that done for you. I was able to do it after I consulted on load needs.
Cut a hole big enough to fit your socket in the bottom of your baskets, then screw them to your board...I used reclaimed screws, but you could drill little holes and run wire around if you wanted. That's how it was done on allthingsthrifty.com where I originally saw it!
We attached the base of the ceiling fan we replaced to the board to hang it, but I'm sure there are other ways...just none that I could think of that worked well.
Hope you're inspired!! Stop by treasuredchaos.com anytime...I love to see those comments!

Treasuredchaos.com

• Barb

Have also seen rhinestones used separately and also have seen it decorated with the ones that come with several rows on sticky paper. They just put a row around the top and a row around the bottom. A little girl would love this and so would I.

• Hannah V

Love all these ideas! I needed some lighting ideas for my windowless apartment too :)