DIY Upholstered Headboard

Welcome! This was a fairly simple DIY project, assuming you have a Kreg Jig and a drill. You also need to know how to use a Kreg Jig and a drill, or have someone who knows how to use a Kreg Jig and a drill and also happens to love you.
You also need scissors. And a schtapler. And duct tape. Wait a minute. Nope, no duct tape for this one. Oh! And an iron! I'll shut up now.
I'm totally crushing on the shorts/underwear combo on the floor. I know you are too. But hey, that's how the room used to look.
By the way, my tutorial skills are downright enviable. In fact, I would say they are on even par with Eddie's ability to keep his beard clean.
Allow me to illustrate:
Now that you have zero expectations, we can continue.
You saw above how the room looked before. Here's how it begins.
Step One: Purchase curtain panels from Tuesday Morning. Hey! Maybe I don't suck at tutorials after all!
Break out your crappy pink iron and eradicate the wrinkles. Don't try this on your stretch marks. It hurts like youknowwhat.
And cut off the grommets.
Purchase a big ole sheet of MDF and cut it to whatever size you want. Then buy a cheap mattress pad, cut it in half, and trim it to size.
Wrap the whole dang mess with some quilt batting and schtaple it down.
Then wrap your curtain around the whole dang mess and schtaple it down.
Be sure and measure your materials so very closely that by the time you get to the curtain part, you can barely get the fabric up and around in order to schtaple it down. That really helps. And doesn't cause schwearing or schweating at all.
Now "let's" build the frame. Ha. Like I've ever built anything. Well, I did grow two humans in me in less than two years. Thus, the stretch marks.
But Phil...well, HE built the frame! Remember the Pot Farm? Of course you do. It's the coolest thing we've ever done on the blog. We followed a very similar process.
Our neighbor gave us a giant pile of rough-sawn cedar. Free. I highly recommend acquiring your supplies this way. You'll most likely have to find your own benefactor though.
Or you could find a restaurant or business that has wood planks on its walls and surreptitiously abscond with your soon-to-be headboard frame.
Better yet, have someone else do the surreptitious absconding. Less risk for you.
Whew. Thank goodness the hard part of the tutorial is over. Flip your project over and leave it on the floor!
Here's the naked, headboard-free wall. Bed. Wall. Whatever. Bearing a helpful little schnauzer.
We used these to attach the headboard to the wall:
And just like magic...
Schweet...
And one more look...
See the full blog post below! Thanks for visiting!

Delusions of ingenuity

• Maryann

Don’t you think the wood looks like an afterthought. It’d look better with out it, but it’s just my opinion. 😀

• Molly Spencer

Love the idea of making your own headboard. Our problem is the bed has to be in front of a window no matter how we turn our bed. Any ideas on how to make a headboard that has to be in front of a window? How would you hang it also?

• Connie Morgan

i have the same problem.. I I just put curtains behind it, however big the window. Place your bed where you want it, and hang curtains so that your bed is centered. My window was way off center, but with just 1string of Christmas lights, you really don’t notice. I used 4 sheers, and two curtain panels on either side. The lights were draped, randomly, and I used 6 stickpins to attach lights to window frame. Easy fix !! (Warning-You will find gorgeous curtain panels, that don’t fit with anything in your decor. This will necessitate new pillows, candles, assorted objet’s d’art that reflect your new vibe. The window treatments cost $120. for 4 curtain panels @ $30. apiece. There are two windows in my bedroom. I already had the sheers and longer curtain rod. Those drapes caused a complete bedroom refresh .. 😊

• Cecilia

How did you get lamp to match?

• Baba

Cool!! Great job.... looks awesome!!

and the dog made the whole tutorial!!! LOL

• Tammy Honeycutt Chapman

My husband and I built one of these and we are totally in love with it.