Organize By Design ~ Mary
Organize By Design ~ Mary
  • Fairview, MT

Refinished Counter Tops With Paper

Remove edging of Formica counters...it they are preformed androunded you will have to paper over the edge and smooth it to the bottom edge. Cleancounter tops thoroughly and fill any divots or holes. Take craft paper(scrunched and torn or cut into pieces depending on your style) soaked it in 2parts water 1 part while glue...smoothed onto counters and over the edge. (Don'tsmooth so much you lose the scrunched
refinished counter tops with paper, countertops, diy, kitchen design

• Tikva Morrow

This looks so great! How much did the whole thing end up costing you?

• Teri Williams

How well is it holding up?

• Cperrea180

can you do this over smooth plywood?

• Madilyn

I did it over a plywood subfloor and it worked great. It is also holding up very well after 6 months of constant use. The key is really how you seal it, not what material is used. I have also used scrapbook paper over kitchen counters and to me that is even more beautiful! Just seal well and use poly (waterbased) sealer, preferably one that is safe for food surfaces.

• Cam4965853

What did u paint with and seal with? Thanks a bunch.

• Janice

Read above.

• Cam4965853

Hey there, I didn't see what type of paint or sealant you had used. I see that paper was used. Thanks again.

• DeAnn Gardyszewski

use poly (waterbased) sealer, preferably one that is safe for food surfaces.

• Mel

Readers of the article who think it just stops abruptly mid-steps: click the 3 dots (ellipses) at the "end" of the article and it'll bring up the rest of the article. People are asking questions that the article answers pretty plainly.
  • OhSally

Very nice. My daughter is re-doing a MIL house on their property and this would be great in the master bathroom. Does it hold up well to water? I imagine it depends on the sealant used and whether the edges are well sealed.

• JOANNE SMITH

I did my bathroom floor in our cabin. It looked great the first couple of summers, but the moisture around the base of the toilet has turned the paper black and discolored. It finish needs to be redone every few years, and I definitely need to redo my flooring again. I would definitely suggest she caulk to seal any surfaces that could be exposed to moisture.

• Hilary Stalder

Can you do this in a light color? Can you do something similar on laminate cabinets?

• Susan

And than what??? You glued it down it took you 5 days what did you seal it with that is food friendly? And how many coats?

• Sally-Charles Evans

"Layer until you get the look you want. Once it is dried stain to your color choosing.Put a couple of layers of poly and then sand lightly to smooth and place a 1" stained edge piece and add a couple more layer of poly." Quoted from the body of the tutorial.

• Melissa Eddie Mussall

How to remove this stuff from my counter tops

• Joanna

Where are the directions.what do I do

• Smooches

i love the idea of the brown paper for floors and the counter tops. respectfully, much of the instruction is missing. for example, where are the directions for finishing the edges? are the edges planks of some sort? can we cover edges with the brown paper? updated directions would be so helpful.

• Pamela j Baergen

Can this be done on tile?

• Angi

Still waiting for more details instructions? Or did I miss them?

• Nan Skipper

Not all of the instructions are listed...could you please post the rest?

My countertops are waiting

• Paula Bois-Brady

You can use white paper bags or blank news paper to get a lighter color.

• Mary Cali Wood

I did this on a old, small table using ripped book pages and sealed with three coats of polyurethane and on kitchen counters using classical and classic rock sheet music and also sealed with three coats of polyurethane. That was three years ago and the counter top is still in good shape. Might put another sealing coat on when I get the urge. The polyurethane did change the color a bit but I wasn't bothered by that.