SweetPea Paula
SweetPea Paula
  • Lynchburg, VA

Dog Food Storage - Vintage Style

Adopting a puppy has meant the addition of doggy supplies to our pantry. I store most of our pantry items in vintage containers and needed a solution for bags of dog food. My mom gave me a small vintage barrel which proved to be the perfect solution. I but the barrel on top of a rolling plant stand and now have rolling dog food storage.
I like to use vintage items for storage in my pantry.  Dog food is stored in a barrel on wheels and wine is in an old bread box.
I like to use vintage items for storage in my pantry. Dog food is stored in a barrel on wheels and wine is in an old bread box.
The barrel can easily be rolled to Sherman's eating area when it is meal time.
A bag of dog food fits perfectly in the barrel.
This barrel was in my mom's barn and was full of balls when I got it.  After a thorough scrubbing, it makes a great dog food storage container.
This barrel was in my mom's barn and was full of balls when I got it. After a thorough scrubbing, it makes a great dog food storage container.

SweetPea Paula

• Kma20416141

Smart idea! I was about to be concerned that you might pour the dog food into the barrel, but you did the right thing, and kept it in the bag. Pet food manufacturers suggest people keep the food in the bag as it has certain qualities that keep the food fresh. I didn't know this until recently. The food can go rancid quickly if not stored in the original bag. Now I need one for my countertop Kitty food!
  • Helen

The best thing you can do for your pet can also be the worst thing you do. While a proper homemade diet can be very beneficial for dogs, many pet owners don't know how to prepare a meal that has all the nutrients dogs need to be healthy. Even some veterinarians aren't skilled enough to give good advice on this manner. What does this mean for the pet owner? Lots and lots of research.

You need to research the types of nutrients your dog needs to be based on breed, age, lifestyle, and other criteria. This can take a long time but can result in the healthiest food your dog has ever eaten.