Quick and Easy Tick Removal

106K Views
Ticks are everywhere here in Tennessee, so much so that our Chickens can’t seem to keep up with them, though I’m sure they give it their best. So if you live around us or in an area where ticks are living, it pays to know an easy and safe way to remove them.
If you’re not already convinced, we have a friend who recently made a trip to the ER to find out that he is now allergic to the meat of mammals because of a tick bite.
On with the removal procedure.
The main idea with the process is that you want to end up with a living tick that still has its “mouth” in tact. If you rip off its “mouth” or kill the tick it will basically vomit inside you and any parasites or bacteria come with it. With a living tick, your chances of that are much less.
Step 1 – Locate Tick
A simple visual inspection at the end of the day.
Step 2 – Take some dental floss and make a loose knot. Lay the knot around the tick area and gently tighten the knot making sure it tightens right where the tick meets your body. Once it is in the right position, tighten it down.
Step 3 – Gently pull on the floss/knot. Generally the tick will release if you just apply constant pressure for a little while.
Step 4 – Once you have a live tick on a string, it’s best to put it in a plastic bag with the date of removal on it. Put that bag in the freezer to preserve the tick. This is in case your health turns and you need to get the tick tested for the various parasites or bacterias.
The tick in the photo is completely alive. Notice the knot tied around its “mouth” area.

Suggested materials for this project:

Jeremy Dixon

• Denise Weick
      Denise Weick Belleville, MI

I had never thought about freezing the removed tick~ Smart, you would had it & the date if later needed. How long do you store it! I'd put them in a plastic covered container too. kinda creepy having bugs in ur freezer. lol

• Parents of a Dozen
        Parents of a Dozen Spring Grove, IL

I really like this method of removal. We get them sometimes where we live and this seems to make the most sense. Very good idea about bagging, dating, and freezing the tick.