DIY Mirror Makeover: Stencil Your Favorite Quote on a Mirror

Add major character to your home with a DIY mirror tutorial, featuring an ornate mirror from Howard Elliott and a custom stencil from Stencils Online.
The following statement may come as a surprise to some (you know, since I NEVER talk about Paris or my obsession with all things French), but if I could live anywhere in the world, it would be Paris.
I cannot believe that three years passed since I wandered those charming, cobblestone streets, picnicking with the mister under the Eiffel Tower and indulging in a daily feast of espresso and macarons. To commemorate what I like to refer to as THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE – here's a lovely little DIY project to help add a little bit of "oh la la" to your home.
Step 1 | Pop over to HowardElliott.com and choose your favorite mirror. I, of course, chose a Paris-inspired, neoclassical number. Which one is your favorite?
For whatever strange reason, the mister refuses to drop our current life in the states and re-locate to the City of Light (how rude!). So until that day comes, I'll settle for surrounding myself with things that remind me of my beloved "Paree."
Step 2 | Choose your favorite quote. This part of the process is the most time-consuming, because how in the world do you choose only one?
At first, my francophilian heart was set on something French. The more I searched for a fitting quote, lyric or poem, however, the more I realized that a French quote on a French mirror is far too cliché and desperate – two qualities that the French absolutely abhor. Instead, I went for an element of surprise with 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 but in Russian – as a nod to my own roots and heritage.
In addition, I would be covering quite a large amount of space, so this particular verse was perfect in length, too. I plan to install the mirror over the mantle (if we ever figure out the ghastly fireplace situation), and I adore the idea of a daily reminder that love is the greatest guiding principle of life.
As far as the design is concerned, I designed the layout in InDesign. A much easier option for non-designers, however, is to simply send your quote and font choice to Stencils Online, and their helpful designer will mock up your custom stencil and send a proof for you to review.
Step 3 | Get your hands on some good, ol' tape and a can of spray paint in the color of your choice. With an overwhelming collection of gold spray paint and white primer, I decided that gold on gold was, again, too in-your-face and opted for the white instead.
You could also use an etching cream or chalk paint; both materials work just as well on a mirrored surface. Using spray paint, however, eliminates the need for any sort of application brush.
Step 4 | You'll want your work of art to look professional – unlike a five-year-old's arts and crafts project – so an even application is key. Place the stencil over the mirror and slide it around until the sheet is right in the center (or wherever you want your quote to be). If in doubt, use a measuring tape to check that you have an even amount of mirror surface on each side of the stencil.
Step 5 | Ensure full contact between the stencil and the mirror surface by smoothing out any air bubbles under the stencil. If any loose letter parts stick up, you may end up with a fuzzy edge around the letter.
The stencil text is cut out in a way that bridges inner, unattached material – like the inside of the letter "e" – to the rest of the stencil using thin vertical lines. This technique is called bridging, and it adds extra sturdiness to the stencil.
However, if your text is quite large, like mine was, then you may find it difficult to spray paint clean edges for certain letters like "h," "c," and "p," due to the fact that these letters all have larger loose parts. If that is the case, you may want to use a removable adhesive to temporary attach the stencil to the mirror during application.
Attach the stencil to the mirror with tape, so it doesn't shift and ruin your work while you're spray painting. Blue painter's tape is best, simply because it's easier to remove afterwards.
Cover the mirror frame and edges with scrap newspaper or garbage bags; make sure you've sealed off any remains of the mirror surface. Cover the space where you're working with dropcloth or scrap cardboard, with plenty of space around the mirror for you to extend the spray can beyond the frame as you apply the primer.
Step 6 | Prepare the can of primer for application according to package instructions. For an even coat of paint, sweep the can horizontally and vertically past the mirror as you spray. Do not get too close to the stencil, or the primer may bleed between the stencil and the mirror, making a total mess. Lots of lightly sprayed layers are far better than one dripping coat of paint – trust me.
If you do make a mistake, or one of your letters ends up bleeding, you can easily scratch off the primer within an hour or so of application. Just use a dull object with a fairly sharp edge; I used the side of the tape dispenser for more precise removal of letters where I applied too much primer too quickly, causing them to bleed.
Step 7 | Allow the paint to dry for approximately an hour before removing the stencil. Otherwise, you risk smearing the freshly applied paint.
Step 8 | Step back and admire your work of art.

• Mirror  (HowardElliott.com)
  • Custom Stencil  (StencilsOnline.com)
  • White Primer  (The Home Depot)

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
Oksana Radionova

• Hb

You could also cut your own stencil if you have a Silhouette machine or any of the other many cutting machines out there .

• Girls Build Club

Amazing!!! So classy, too