A Guest Room Totally Transformed!

51K Views
Oh my word! This room went from being my least favorite in the house to my absolute favorite spot. All it took was a little paint, a little paper, a whole lot of 'brightening' and some cozy and soft accessories. I must admit, I was working with some pretty good bones. The room is the smallest in the house and can basically only fit a queen bed and two teensy side tables, but the ocean view is million dollar.
  • a guest room totally transformed , bedroom ideas, home decor, wall decor
Here's what the room looked like when we moved in. It just felt so dark. And not at all like the coastal vistas just outside. My makeover started by addressing that. I painted out the pine wainscoting in a gloss white and then freshened the walls and ceiling in the same white colour, but in an eggshell finish.
Then, I wanted to accentuate the wall behind the bed - draw the eye into the room and make it appear a bit larger and more grand. I chose a powder blue damask paper that is DIVINE. It's actually iridescent and I can't get enough of it. Here's a trick! Measure two lengths of matching paper on the floor instead of up on the wall with your hands in the air. Trust me :) It's easier that way.
The paper went up easily with just regular wall paper paste and the rest of the room came together with accessories. Some new, neutral and so soft bedding, vintage end tables, a couple of wall sconces for reading to save on precious bedside space, a dramatic chandelier and some long, flowing white drapes to enhance the water and breeze outside the window.
I can't believe how far this little guest retreat has come! There were too many sources and bits and pieces for me to list here, so if you're looking for something in particular, check over on our blog post where I've listed a lot of them :) Thanks for reading! - E

Suggested materials for this project:

DIY Passion