Hayden Scharrer
Hayden Scharrer
  • Battle Creek, MI

How to Renovate Your Kitchen For Under $600

$560
2 Weeks

Hey yall! Today I'm sharing how I renovated my kitchen for under $600! It wasn't terrible when we moved in but it wasn't beautiful either. With a few simple steps you can update any kitchen into a room you want to spend all your time in!
how to renovate your kitchen for under 600, chalk paint, countertops, how to, kitchen backsplash, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting
Here is the before. Ugly orange cabinets weren't my thing and neither were green matching countertops. We were on a budget but this kitchen needed a change.
First, we painted the cabinets. I was about 8 months pregnant at the time so this took me about a week. I used 3 cans of Annie Sloan chalk paint in the color old ochre. This paint is great for redoing cabinet because there's no need to sand the cabinets first.
We also painted the countertops using Giani's countertop kit. This was about $80 for a kit and covered our entire kitchen countertops. It comes with an automotive sealer to protect the counters too!
Then we did a brick backsplash. No, this was not faux brick. We bought real brick veneer from Home Depot but you can get this at any of your big box home renovation stores.
Mocha was the color grout we chose so it wouldn't show dirt and would fit the whole antique look of our kitchen. This made me love the brick even more!
And for the after. Since this picture we have replaced our microwave and changed the red color wall which you can see below.
And here is a side by side of our kitchen renovation! All together we stayed under $600 (not counting the appliances) and it looks like a totally new kitchen. I blogged in more detail about this on my blog.
how to renovate your kitchen for under 600
Here is a closer up picture of the countertops. They look like real granite, don't they?!
We added an awning using reclaimed lumber we had from our nursery renovation and a piece of corrugated metal.
What do you think of the new paint color? I liked how it brightens up the kitchen even more than before.
I also created this faux brick wall treatment in here using just joint compound, painter's tape and acrylic paint. $30 total.
What do you think? Was this kitchen renovation worth $600?!

• Annie Sloan Chalk Paint  (Antique Shop)
  • Brick Veneer  (Home Depot)
  • Grout  (Home Depot)

Hayden Scharrer

• Barbara

How high is the awning? Is it high enough that a person won't hit her head on it coming through the door?

• Hayden Scharrer

It is about as high as the door. I'm not sure why anyone would be walking underneath it as the table is in the way so haven't had that problem.

• Lisa Waddell

Wow! What a beautiful makeover. I love the walls in the dining area. How did you pull this off with joint compound? I'm intrigued. I'd love this in my kitchen. What colors did you use faux paint the brick?

Again, great transformation!!

• Michelle Bruneau

Beautiful job! What did you seal the cabinates with? I did annie sloam white and poly acrylic but it yellowed the paint in spots. I was not happy. Lucky I just did my bathroom vanity for a test.

• Petra Bramble

Beautiful transformation.

• Sophie

It's great! I just finished the general renovation of the kitchen a few days ago https://www.thehomeexpert.uk and start looking for additives from tomorrow. I am looking for inspiration on the internet, because I do not have the ability to arrange interiors and I dream about beautiful kitchen. I can not wait for the final result! And shopping is what I like doing the most :)