How to Renovate Your Kitchen For Under $600

$560
2 Weeks

Hey yall! Today I'm sharing how I renovated my kitchen for under $600! It wasn't terrible when we moved in but it wasn't beautiful either. With a few simple steps you can update any kitchen into a room you want to spend all your time in!
Here is the before. Ugly orange cabinets weren't my thing and neither were green matching countertops. We were on a budget but this kitchen needed a change.
First, we painted the cabinets. I was about 8 months pregnant at the time so this took me about a week. I used 3 cans of Annie Sloan chalk paint in the color old ochre. This paint is great for redoing cabinet because there's no need to sand the cabinets first.
We also painted the countertops using Giani's countertop kit. This was about $80 for a kit and covered our entire kitchen countertops. It comes with an automotive sealer to protect the counters too!
Then we did a brick backsplash. No, this was not faux brick. We bought real brick veneer from Home Depot but you can get this at any of your big box home renovation stores.
Mocha was the color grout we chose so it wouldn't show dirt and would fit the whole antique look of our kitchen. This made me love the brick even more!
And for the after. Since this picture we have replaced our microwave and changed the red color wall which you can see below.
And here is a side by side of our kitchen renovation! All together we stayed under $600 (not counting the appliances) and it looks like a totally new kitchen. I blogged in more detail about this on my blog.
Here is a closer up picture of the countertops. They look like real granite, don't they?!
We added an awning using reclaimed lumber we had from our nursery renovation and a piece of corrugated metal.
What do you think of the new paint color? I liked how it brightens up the kitchen even more than before.
I also created this faux brick wall treatment in here using just joint compound, painter's tape and acrylic paint. $30 total.
What do you think? Was this kitchen renovation worth $600?!

• Annie Sloan Chalk Paint  (Antique Shop)
  • Brick Veneer  (Home Depot)
  • Grout  (Home Depot)

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
Hayden Scharrer

• Sew crazy

You said you sealed the counter top with an automotive sealer. Is that food safe? I have been looking to do something like this but have not found a food safe brand.

• Sherry Hagen

Stove and microwave look new. They are now black. Did you include that in the $600.00 cost

• Sherry Hagen

I missed that in the article. Thank you Cindy. A beautiful renovation! Certainly inspired me!

• AKP

Hi, I have tried to read through all the questions because I don't want to repeat, but there are just so many! I love the dutch door. Did you purchase that somewhere or did you make your own? Thank you for your time. I think that you did a wonderful job on that budget!