Covering Mirrored Closet Doors

Mirrored closet doors can date a room. Here's how to cover them, without permanently damaging or changing anything.
The picture above is my original project, five years ago. These have been covered for five years, with no problems whatsoever.
Mirrored closet doors can simply be turned around. The actual mirrors are on the other side of these doors. Take both hands on each side of one panel, gently lift up and pull the bottom towards you. Since they have rollers on the bottom, you can actually roll them to your workspace.
Find a place out of the sun where you can work with the door flat.
As you can see, this is the original covered panel. Below I simply pulled a corner, and it peels right off.
The next step is to place your fabric over the door. My original project was much more complicated, since I needed to match up the pattern on three doors. I'm doing plain white this time, so it's much easier. I used Joann Fabrics Home Decorator material. The stuff that's on the rolls in the back of the store.
Trim around the panel to a couple inches.
Don't worry about gentle wrinkles, but do iron out any serious ones. You can iron right on the panel.
Now it's time to mix the cornstarch glue!
This is all you need.
Put 4 cups of cold water in a nice deep sauce pan. Add 1 1/2 cups of corn starch and mix until it's a smooth, milky texture. It'll look like fat free milk.
Over a medium high flame, stir constantly. This takes about 5 minutes. It'll seem like all the sudden it gets gluey and the texture goes from milky to almost solid feeling. Take it off the heat and continue to stir vigorously.
Wait until it's cooled a bit before working. Here's what it should look like:
With your fabric still in place on your panel, pull back about 2' of fabric and spread the mixture.
I spread a thin layer all over the panel, and use my fingers to make sure there's a nice thicker coating towards the edges. Then flop the fabric back up and massage it in place. Running fingers in the edges to make sure the fabric is really sealed.
Continue down the panel, pressing and massaging the fabric in place.
Take a razor around the edges (nice and sharp) and cut off the extra fabric. Let dry. In an hour or two you can roll it back to the closet and rehang.
Here's the question I'm sure that's on your mind - why the heck am I doing plain white? Well, I just got a handmade vintage double wedding ring quilt for my room, and that just doesn't work with the current fabric. I'm going to do something interesting over the white, just not sure what yet.
Have fun!

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy

• Mel

I have a mirrored wall, 11'w/8'h., so it won't be able to lay down to apply and then dry flat. Can I still follow direction above and get same results?

if not, what modifications can I make to make it work (or is mine just too big a project for this)? Help!!

• Flavia

Hi! Do you think this can work with paper too???

Thanks!

• Joy Peters Kurtz

Nope, in fact it doesn't work with regular cotton fabric. It has to be that home decorator fabric that you recover couches in. Otherwise it shows all the small variations in the depth of the glue. Paper would just rip when massaging the warm glue in to place. YMMV

• Debra

Do you think I could use contact paper and get the same result or at least close to it?