Rubber Door Mat Wall Decor in 30 Minutes

$25

Hey Y'all!!! I'm am so excited about this project!If you're looking for a statement piece for your home decor but don't want to dig deep in your pockets, this is totally the project for you! Who would have thought a door mat could become such a wall beauty?!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Wait 'til you see what this door mat becomes!!!
SUPPLIES:

STEP 1: Spray mat First, I spray painted my mat using long, quick bursts. I had a handy dandy spray can attachment but unfortunately, after several years, it kicked the bucket and I haven’t gotten a new one yet. Do one even coat on the front and sides of the mat—I didn’t bother with the back since it was going to be hanging on the wall. STEP 2: Let the mat dry completely.
STEP 3: Sand the mat Once my mat was dry, I lightly sanded the top of the mat. You can apply more pressure in some places to give the mat a more worn look.
I. AM. OBSESSED!!! I absolutely love the color blue I chose -- I'm half tempted to re-do my entire living room to flow with this color. I am crazy about this project and how quick and easy it was to create a nice piece of wall decor -- you can hang it vertically or horizontally, whatever your decor need is! Score for DIY! :) *The only thing I feel I need to do to is reinforce how my mat is hanging on my wall...I may add a few little small nails on the right side to help it stay flat.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Bonnie Merz Seubert

How about those 3M Command Stripes to secure the areas that need it?

• Carol Lacey

I have never had luck with Command strips. I follow the directions, I have purchased for heavier weight, nothing helps. Always over time they give out.

If you read the package they even elude to that by telling you NOT to hang anything that can be broken with them. The only thing I tried and had luck with are the outdoor. I hang my Christmas wreaths with them.

• Chuz97

Didn't you forget the step about protecting the rest of the wall from the paint or am I missing something?

• CKS9397454

It was spray painted on a board or cloth. Then once it's dry you can hang it up.

• T davidson

What was used to hang mat and what size?

• Yukibar

Look at the video - looks like small nails were hammered into the wall. I might use command hooks or even decorative nails. Google it.

• Fun fraze's

Looks cool..dont it.. 👍👍

• Sophie wilde

This looks very European I must say .The one thing I wouldn't be able to resist is using this as one huge stencil and spray painting some fabric or canvas to make some accessories for the room to go with it ..Then just scrub the paint off with washing up liquid ( forgot to say use water based paints for the stencilling) and then dry it off and follow your idea !! Thanks for sharing this ,I' be only just discovered your site tonight and I must say the Americans are far more home craft orientated than here in England .Iv' e always made ' stuff' its good for the mid staying creative .peace Sophie x