Turn This Boring Wood Window Frame Into Something Special for Xmas

1.5 Hours

We took a window pane piece from the craft store and turned it into something magnificent for Christmas and all winter long! Here's how:

To BUY this rustic Christmas hanging, click here!

We bought this plain wood window frame piece at the craft store and decided to dress it for the holidays..it seemed a little plain at first.
A quick coat of Annie Sloan Old White with a dry brush gave this the more time worn rustic look we were looking for. Quick strokes with a dry brush and light application of the chalk paint helps create this aged and weathered effect.
Viola! Instant reclaimed wood look!
I knew I wanted this to have a festive look and with all the projects we do, theres always some scraps lying around, so we hit the leftovers box. We gathered grapevine twigs, pinecones, red berry clusters, preserved greenery from the craft store and of course, lots of hot glue!
The foundation of the decoration came from the grapevine twigs..they were glued in place with lots of ot glue.
Next, the berries and greens were layered on top until we had the effect we were looking for.
Strategically placed pinecones covered areas where the greens were glued to the frame.
At first I was going to put a little bird in the window, but something seemed off. I think he was too small. I had made this rusty jingle bell wreath this week and it seemed perfect for the project. It was glued in place with lots of hot glue. Along with its little burlap bow, I think this was the special touch this frame needed. Ready for the reveal?

No longer is this window frame plain and boring..its ready for Christmas and the entire winter season. Whether it gets hung on the wall or used on the door in place of a traditional wreath, this piece is going to turn heads! Where would YOU put this in your home?

• Wood window pane piece  (Jo Ann Crafts)
  • Greenery  (Michaels)
  • Rusty jingle bell wreath  (Toadstool Pond)

To see more: http://www.etsy.com/shop/toadstoolpond