DIY Ikea Furniture Makeover

$120

This DIY is thanks to visiting family who recently purchased the Ikea Hemnes 4 drawer shoe cabinet. We fell in love with it's functionality & overall look but of course I had to give it something extra! Since it was already a pretty pricey purchase ($99!) I came up with an inexpensive way to make it a custom piece.
Here's a detailed list of supplies you'll need for this project. All of the items used are very easy to find & can be purchased using store coupons to keep the project budget even lower. The good thing is that these items can be reused in future projects & are great additions to any DIY-er's craft storage ;)
After assembling the shoe cabinet to see what you're working with, remove each drawer & it's original hardware. I saved the original drawer knobs/pulls to be used in a future project & added my own. Of course you can skip this step & keep them as well.
Since this project uses a roll of decorative paper you'll need a decent amount of grip. Using spray adhesive give the drawer face a few coats & allowe the adhesive to become tacky.
Once the adhesive is ready drape the decorative paper over the drawer face & press it in place. Gently sweep your hands over the surface to ensure all areas areas are in place before moving one.
*This step is much easier with an extra set of hands.
Cut away the roll of paper & remove any large amounts of excess paper.
Using a straight edge of your choice (I used a plastic cutting board since I didn't have a large ruler) place it alongside an edge of the drawer face. Use your X-acto knife/blade to quickly cute away the remains paper.
The paper doesn't have to come off immediately, but the X-Acto knife will provide you with a crease so you can gently tear away the excess paper. Use a sanding block to clean up any fuzzy edges of paper & then repeat this process on the remaining drawers.
After each drawer is ready you can seal the paper with a quick coat of spray on Mod Podge.
*You can also use the liquid Mod Podge, I found the spray on Mod Podge to be easier to work with however, liquid Mod Podge will offer better protection. If you live in an area with a moist climate I recommend using the liquid Mod Podge as an added amount of protection.
Once everything's dry you can use a pencil to pierce through the paper to the original drawer/knob placement. Gently poke a hole & twist the pencil to remove the paper. Add your original or new hardware & you can finally put the cabinet back together.
Add the drawers back in place & you're ready to go! I added the shoes we wear more frequently & now they're no longer all over the floor at the front door.
We've loved having this cabinet in our front entry way! It's cleaned up the area so well & we've even added a calendar to the wall above it to make it our command center.
Feel free to leave any questions down below & check out my other corners of the internet.
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/HeatherMoxieDIYed
Blog: www.heathermoxiediy.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/HeatherMoxieDIY
Instagram: www.instagram.com/heathermoxiediy/

• HEMNES 4 Drawer Shoe Cabinet  (IKEA)
  • Spray Adhesive  (Amazon)
  • Spray or Liquid Mod Podge  (Amazon)

20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes

• Kimberly Lovitt
    Kimberly Lovitt

I'd like to know where did you get that awesome decorative paper from?

• 1900881
    1900881

Wow! How clever 👍🏻! How many pairs of shoes does it hold, and did you do the sides of the panels? It looks great!

• Heather Moxie DIY
      Heather Moxie DIY

Hi Trina, each drawer holds about 3 pairs of my shoes & 2 of my partner's. I only added paper to the drawer faces, less work for me ;) Shawna that's a great idea! Good to know I can repurpose it in the future if our needs change :D

• Joanie
    Joanie

This is a super lookin' Station.......I love it.......that paper looks like real wood......I would never know........great job!!!

• Mocheli Santos
    Mocheli Santos

I did this to mine! I painted and decoupaged!