DIY Ikea Furniture Makeover

$120

This DIY is thanks to visiting family who recently purchased the Ikea Hemnes 4 drawer shoe cabinet. We fell in love with it's functionality & overall look but of course I had to give it something extra! Since it was already a pretty pricey purchase ($99!) I came up with an inexpensive way to make it a custom piece.
Here's a detailed list of supplies you'll need for this project. All of the items used are very easy to find & can be purchased using store coupons to keep the project budget even lower. The good thing is that these items can be reused in future projects & are great additions to any DIY-er's craft storage ;)
After assembling the shoe cabinet to see what you're working with, remove each drawer & it's original hardware. I saved the original drawer knobs/pulls to be used in a future project & added my own. Of course you can skip this step & keep them as well.
Since this project uses a roll of decorative paper you'll need a decent amount of grip. Using spray adhesive give the drawer face a few coats & allowe the adhesive to become tacky.
Once the adhesive is ready drape the decorative paper over the drawer face & press it in place. Gently sweep your hands over the surface to ensure all areas areas are in place before moving one.
*This step is much easier with an extra set of hands.
Cut away the roll of paper & remove any large amounts of excess paper.
Using a straight edge of your choice (I used a plastic cutting board since I didn't have a large ruler) place it alongside an edge of the drawer face. Use your X-acto knife/blade to quickly cute away the remains paper.
The paper doesn't have to come off immediately, but the X-Acto knife will provide you with a crease so you can gently tear away the excess paper. Use a sanding block to clean up any fuzzy edges of paper & then repeat this process on the remaining drawers.
After each drawer is ready you can seal the paper with a quick coat of spray on Mod Podge.
*You can also use the liquid Mod Podge, I found the spray on Mod Podge to be easier to work with however, liquid Mod Podge will offer better protection. If you live in an area with a moist climate I recommend using the liquid Mod Podge as an added amount of protection.
Once everything's dry you can use a pencil to pierce through the paper to the original drawer/knob placement. Gently poke a hole & twist the pencil to remove the paper. Add your original or new hardware & you can finally put the cabinet back together.
Add the drawers back in place & you're ready to go! I added the shoes we wear more frequently & now they're no longer all over the floor at the front door.
We've loved having this cabinet in our front entry way! It's cleaned up the area so well & we've even added a calendar to the wall above it to make it our command center.
Feel free to leave any questions down below & check out my other corners of the internet.
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/HeatherMoxieDIYed
Blog: www.heathermoxiediy.com
Twitter: www.twitter.com/HeatherMoxieDIY
Instagram: www.instagram.com/heathermoxiediy/

• HEMNES 4 Drawer Shoe Cabinet  (IKEA)
  • Spray Adhesive  (Amazon)
  • Spray or Liquid Mod Podge  (Amazon)

• Kimberly Lovitt

I'd like to know where did you get that awesome decorative paper from?

• Rosemary

Home Depot sells similar patterns but as wallpaper rather than mac tac. Not sure if this would be as secure or durable.

• Nora

I have been looking for paper like this to cover a wall storage unit! Can you tell me what paper this is & where you got it? I was thinking of using wallpaper...but yours is the exact look I want!

• Heather Moxie DIY

Hi Nora, I'm sure you've seen the other comment but I wanted to make sure you had an answer ;) You can search "Ella Bella Photography Backdrop Paper, 4x12-feet, Vintage Wood" on Amazon & it should come up :)

• 1900881

Wow! How clever 👍🏻! How many pairs of shoes does it hold, and did you do the sides of the panels? It looks great!

• Heather Moxie DIY

Hi Trina, each drawer holds about 3 pairs of my shoes & 2 of my partner's. I only added paper to the drawer faces, less work for me ;) Shawna that's a great idea! Good to know I can repurpose it in the future if our needs change :D

• Joanie

This is a super lookin' Station.......I love it.......that paper looks like real wood......I would never know........great job!!!

• Mocheli Santos

I did this to mine! I painted and decoupaged!