How do you generate new and creative DIY ideas?

+7
I was reading a great book on creativity called Thinkertoys by Michael Michalko, and I came up with my own aid for generating new ideas for my projects. I guess you would call it an acrostic.

Combine, Replace, Adapt, Find other uses, Time travel, Eliminate, Rearrange, Size. I try to apply these different operations to existing projects and come up with new variations.

What are some ways you like to generate new ideas for you DIY projects?
q how to generate new and creative ideas, how to
  • Ann Ann on Jan 11, 2017
    Good thinking! I make lists of every concievable idea/project and when I look back I am pleasantly amazed at how many I've completed successfully.
  • Haysha S. Haysha S. on Jan 11, 2017
    I like it! What do you mean by time travel?
    • See 2 previous
    • Haysha S. Haysha S. on Jan 11, 2017
      That outlook really resonates with me. Thanks!
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jan 11, 2017
    This is awesome, thank you for sharing! My biggest driver of creativity is music. When I need an idea, or to be really productive, I have the right playlists :)
  • Stephen Scott Johnson Stephen Scott Johnson on Jan 11, 2017
    Cool! Thanks for sharing. I may need to try that.
  • Cori Widen Cori Widen on Jan 12, 2017
    I was thinking more about this -- I'm inspired by a lot of books, too - not necessarily on topic, but anything by someone who is an inspiring creator - I love reading books about/by people in hi-tech, for example.
  • DORLIS DORLIS on Jan 14, 2017
    Most of the time, I see something at a store, in nature or have something I need that sets me to thinking and because I hate to spend money, I try to figure out how I can do it.
  • Stephen Scott Johnson Stephen Scott Johnson on Jan 14, 2017
    Great idea! I hate to spend a lot of money too!