DIY Boho Fringe Chandelier

$20

I've been seeing DIY chandelier and light fixtures all over Pinterest so I finally decided to dive and (hopefully) make a tad bit more simplified version of what I have seen out there. I love how this came out and cannot wait to create different versions. You can do this chandelier in any color, more layers, less layers, different metallics, lights or no lights. The possibilities are endless.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
Gather materials: 14 inch, 10 inch and 8 inch embroidery hoop, fringe (I ordered mine offline since my local craft store didn't have any I liked), rope, scissors, sharpie, measuring tape and hot glue.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
Step 1: Take out the hoop portion that doesn't have the metal on it. I recycle the other part for other DIY's - you can use metal ones if you like but these are less expensive. Tip: Spray paint them the color of your fringe - this will make it blend more.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
Step 2: Cut four pieces (mine are one arm's length each) of rope or yarn or whatever your heart desires to hang it.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
Step 3: Put the hoops on the table, tie each piece of rope to the smallest hoop. I then pulled it tight and made a mark at 4 1/2 inches on each piece of rope. I then tied the knot at that mark to the second largest hoop and repeated this step to then tie it to the biggest hoop.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
This creates the "bones" of the chandelier for you to hot glue the fringe to. I didn't spray paint my hoops white and ended up hand painting them to blend them in more so don't forget to paint them!!
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
Step 4: Tie a knot at the top - tying all four pieces of rope together.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
Step 5: Hang it up somewhere and hot glue your fringe on to each individual hoop.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
Step 6: Trim your fringe however you like! I did mine evenly across but I think it would look dope to add cut in's or scallops.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
This is totally optional - I found this trim at JoAnn's and wanted to add it to the top.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
Step 7: Hot glue the top of your chandelier and add it!
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
Step 8: Trim the excess and you're done! The possibilities and endless with dip dying it, color ways, lighting it or not lighting it.
diy chandelier boho fringe, lighting
And there you have it! Stay rad 🤘. Connect with me! i n s t a g r a m // http://bit.ly/2eUALeQ p i n t e r e s t // http://bit.ly/2fmG6w4 f a c e b o o k // http://bit.ly/2fE8eKu t w i t t e r // http://bit.ly/2eUxkVx s n a p c h a t // rachel_metz i n q u i r i e s // rachellivingtodiy@gmail.com

Expo International 5 Yards of 6" Chainette Fringe Trim 5 6", White

Rachel Metz

• P auline miller

could you safely put this over an existing light fixture?

• Jla8402165

Probably, if you use a LED bulb. They do not emit much, if any heat. You would need to figure out how to attach it to a fixture since the top is open.

• P auline miller

It could be put up with command hooks attached to ceiling

• Irish Pack

absolutely gorgeous!

• Diane Taylor Noel

Fabulous !!! Such a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

• Rachel Metz

I actually got a single bulb strand from Michael's and a low heat lightbulb then tied use a ceiling hook to loop around it/hold the chandelier when I tied my ropes together.

• Cartwrightd

How did you attach it to the ceiling light ?

• Shawna Bailey

It's tied on

• Rachel Metz

You can use a ceiling hook and hook it where you tied all the ropes together. If you want it lower, make the ropes longer. I used a single strand light from Michael's to light it up but I think fairy lights would look awesome.

• Judy

Can you add battery operated lights to it? Or would it be too heavy?

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Hi Judy, I know you're not asking me but I have made several DIY chandeliers ( this one is very pretty) and I actually used the LED fairy lights that you plug in. They are super light because they are these tiny LED bulbs attached to the thin copper wiring that are safe to use to wrap around or attach with wire. I've purchased several of these sets and love them. So you save on batteries, they are safe due to being LED, they come with a remote control so you can turn them on and off easily, you can adjust the light output from bright to nightlight... and there's different options if you want twinkling or steady. I swear by these for my chandeliers I make. Hope this helps you! Here's the Amazon link, they are on sale too! but you can search them by the actual description: Eufy Starlit String Light Indoor and Outdoor Dimmable Warm White LED with Remote Control, IP20 Water-resistant, 33 ft ( Copper Wire) https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KH1IEMW/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Judy

Fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. I never thought about the fairy lights! Very excited to start this project

• Rachel Metz

I ended up doing fairy lights after I posted this project and it is truly stunning. I don't need the chandelier to emit too much light, it's more decor.

• Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Judy, as promised, I'm posting a pic of the completed chandy! Couldn't grab a good pic with the lights on but you get the general idea.! Hope this helps!

, Fairy LED lights on DIY chandy
    • Jessica Serrano-Gregg

Another view of chandy

, Another view
    • Jessica Serrano-Gregg

With lights off

, A pic of chandy with the LED lights off You can t really see but I wrapped the strand around the metal instead of leaving them loose
    • Judy

Jess, beautiful!! Thank you

• Debra Bergert

Yes, curious where/how you hung it??? and where di you get your fringe??? its ridiculously expensive for some crazy reason. I am making this soon.

• Rachel Metz

The link to the video at the bottom has a description below it with the fringe I ordered! I legit just bought a light kit from Michael's that suited the length I needed and stapled it/hooked it where I wanted it.

• Brandy

How many yards of fringe did you order/use?
    • Rachel Metz

It all depends on what size circles you use. You'll have to measure and tailor it your circle but I linked it in the description below on my YouTube channel.
  • Isabella

I was wondering if you could put it over a ceiling light and how you could if possible
    • Rachel Metz

You would have to secure it somehow to the top of the ceiling! Wire, hooks, I'm not too sure.
    • Isabella

Thanks for your help
    • Barb in Texas

They sell light kits at stores, it's the components and bulbs, you just add a shade.

• Melodi Whitaker

I would use small L brackets, attaching one side to the inside of the top hoop and the other to the ceiling, also inside. You could use very fine screws to attach the bracket fo the embroidery hoop, or if worried about splitting, construction glue. Then use screws to attach to the ceiling(you can use plastic anchors to hold it very securely).

• Jasp Jones

I think small clear command hooks attached to the ceiling would do it or for something a little more permanent what about curtain wire hooks attached to ceiling. x

• Margaretcrimi

how could I make a swag lamp using this for a shade ?
    • Rachel Metz

The video shows how I hooked it up to the ceiling but it is all your personal preference.
  • Connie Quine

I couldn't tell from this post, is your fringe chandelier lit with lights or not? I would love to do this, but have only ceiling fans in almost all of my rooms, so it wouldn't work, but it is so gorgeous! Great job!

• Could glass beads be used or would they be too heavy?

• Sonia Bowscer

How do I hang it from the ceiling?

• Sonia Bowscer

How do I hang it from the ceiling?

• Rachel Metz

In the video - I show you a weird way that I did. I would Pinterest search how to hang a simple light fixture. They have a ton of good ideas!

• Cira Saget

Love it!! Can you explain how to hang it from the ceiling? I am not too crafty. 😉

• Lin Collins

You use the string used to connect the hoops. Attach a ring or not as you like. Screw a hook into the ceiling and hang it.

• Michelle McFerran

You could also use a Command hook if you don't want to screw into your ceiling.

• Phyllis

What do you think about using white Christmas tree lights? And how would you suggest connecting the finished lighted project to a power source?

• Jill

Glue them to the inside of the hoops

• Becci Karn Bartz

Then run the cord up through the center meeting at the top of where you tied the string into a knot. Go on over the the wall with the cord or use an extension cord to get it to the wall plug. That's what I'd do anyway.

• Brenda Walters-Layton

Buy battery operated lights and glue them in

• Phyllis

Thank you so much.

• Phyllis

• Rachel Metz

In the video I believe I show stapling it to the ceiling and using an extension cord? But Pinterest has a ton of great DIY light fixture hanging techniques.

• Cheryl Smith

How did you cut the fringe so straight?

• Best Nana

I think you can buy the fringe in spools like ribbon and it will work great and be the same length

• Sheri McCullers Patman

I would not suggest cutting the bottom of the fringe. If you do, it will fray and unravel over time.

The two stitch lines on the bottom are there to keep the fringe from getting tangled up. It's a "chain stitch" that can easily be pulled out.

Here's a good resource showing how to remove it. Scroll down the page until you see "Chain Stitch".

https://www.dottodotstudio.co.uk/unpicking-oh-joy/

• Bharati S

Hi Rachel, where did u buy the fringe from?I am looking to buy some, cant seem to ofid it

• Jul33196164

How do you attatch it to the ceiling

• Boni Parker

Can paragon wax be used instead of soy wax? Sorry... I meant paraffin wax?

• Evy

How do you put the light bulb in it after.

• Tracey Ward

How do you attach it to the light fitting please??

• Mcc

Can do with upside down tomato cage spray painted and legs trimmed but the flat edge is helpful for glueing trim on.

• Rebecca Platt

How adorable.

• Sof34016787

Yes, please help me hang it! I can’t get it straight (hence e we ignited spoon), centered, or close enough to the ceiling:(