Megan Poletti
Megan Poletti
  • Macedonia, OH

DIY Countertop Revival

$10

This is the perfect project for renters or apartment dwellers! Are your kitchen countertops ugly and dated? Use contact paper to revive them! All you need for this project is decorative contact paper or adhesive shelf liner, which I found at Target for $5.24; clear caulk (about $3 at any home improvement store); a razor blade or box cutter; and finally, Mod Podge or a food-safe sealant. I searched a lot of stores for shelf liner in a black and white design,and on my expedition I found many options: faux wood grain, faux stainless steel, and other cute options that just didn't happen to match my vision, but may be perfect for your home. Get creative with your countertops!
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, This project is very detail oriented as the laying of contact paper can get pretty tedious It s sticky but it is easy to remove and realign so you can give yourself a few shots at laying the paper down without bubbles or wrinkles
This project is very detail-oriented, as the laying of contact paper can get pretty tedious. It's sticky, but it is easy to remove and realign, so you can give yourself a few shots at laying the paper down without bubbles or wrinkles.
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, The first step is to wipe down your counter with soap and water and allow it to dry This is really important because the contact paper sticks better to clean surfaces
The first step is to wipe down your counter with soap and water, and allow it to dry. This is really important because the contact paper sticks better to clean surfaces.
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, After the area dries measure your counter space You will have to have a seam between two strips of contact paper I recommend creating as few seams as you can I added 1 2 extra on each side which I trimmed more precisely later
After the area dries, measure your counter space. You will have to have a seam between two strips of contact paper; I recommend creating as few seams as you can. I added 1/2" extra on each side, which I trimmed more precisely later.
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, 1 Remove the backing in small pieces to avoid a sticky mess 2 Trim the edges close to the wall 3 Add clear caulk along the wall seams 4 Opt Use sealant for protection my counter here is not for food so I used Mod Podge
1. Remove the backing in small pieces, to avoid a sticky mess; 2. Trim the edges close to the wall; 3. Add clear caulk along the wall seams; 4. (Opt.) Use sealant for protection (my counter here is not for food, so I used Mod Podge).
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, Some advice When making a seam with two strips of contact paper overlap about an inch That way the opportunity for food or water to slither its way underneath is slim
Some advice: When making a seam with two strips of contact paper, overlap about an inch. That way the opportunity for food or water to slither its way underneath is slim.
diy countertop revival, countertops, diy, kitchen design, The best part The counters will easily be restored when I move I ll just peel them up and scrape off the caulk with a razor Good luck with your counters and have fun
The best part? The counters will easily be restored when I move--I'll just peel them up and scrape off the caulk with a razor. Good luck with your counters, and have fun!

Megan Poletti

• Wendy G. Whitcomb

How do you use your counters for hot dishes or pans-did you use something to protect them?

• Bbs6739545

use a potholder !!

• Kay D

Potholder GREAT answer!!!!

• Cathy Whitesides

Mine are covered with contact paper. I have several leftover ceramic floor tiles from my new floor, I use them on the counter top for hot items, I placed a washcloth underneath them so when I slide them they don't scratch the paper.

• Marian Smith Tartaglione

Tiles work great for hot plates, use felt pads on the corners to prevent scratching.....

• Terri Hansinge

Tiles do work great but I have rug glued to the bottom of mine

• Lori

I've used those stick-on felt pads you buy for chair legs.....they work great on tiles for making trivets for hot pans. Just have to be careful when you wash the trivet. I suppose you could always glue those felt pads on with epoxy for more permanent 'legs' on the trivet. When I was a kid, my mom covered the worn out bathroom vanity with contact paper. It lasted for years!

• Debra

What sealant can be used in spaces where food is prepared?

• Michael J Balsamo

I have used clear varnish (little at a time as it reacts with contact paper and causes it to kind of melt). I have also used ab epoxy but that makes it more permanent. It still cannot really withstand heat so use trivets and mats and cutting boards

• Melanie Beresford

I used a concrete overlay on my laminate countertop and was told to use a specific kind of sealant which didn't work. I have yet to find anything that doesn't cloud or melt from heat. I have spent much time on Google trying to figure this out because there has to be a product, cabinet makers are in the business of making concrete countertop that need to be non-porous.

• Linda Smale

Looks Great!!! About how long does it last before you have to replace the contact paper?

• Abc355215

I had some down for years before it needed to be replaced

• Depends on how much abuse your counters tops take. I have an 85 yr old father in law with early-mid stage Alzheimer's , 2 teen of my own and a neighborhood full of teenagers in and out all the time. Mine is not going to last as long as say the retired couple who just wanted it to look pretty. 😊
  • Bun6261075

Love this idea, is their a product I can use on the contact paper where I still can prep my foods on?

• Toni Emmert- Burnham

yes, a cutting board

• Diane Jane Kreyger- Murray

does the contact paper wear out easily, would it be hard to keep clean.

• Jigger9901

It doesn't wear out easily, at all. I had some on my worktops for years. Just wipe clean with a damp cloth and some dish soap.

• Madilyn

If you scrub too hard sometimes the darker part of the pattern will start to come off. Just don't use an abrasive like Comet or one of those Magic Erasers and you should be fine. You could all seal it with a few coats of poly-acrylic to ensure it won't wear out. DO NOT use polyurethane because it will yellow.

• Bun6261075

Thank you Madilyn that's a great idea .

• Kathleen Duggan-Beier

How do you think this would work as a backsplash

• Jigger9901

Contact paper works really well for a back splash. It's a wonderfully cheap alternative to tiles etc. and there's so much choice!

• Angela at farragio

Since contact paper can be wiped down and withstand some moisture, I'm wondering why it needs to be sealed?

• Lynette Foxen

The design will scrub off eventually.

• Alisa Howard

Water will eventually cause the surface to degrade and damage the design. I would definitely seal it.
  • Karen

where did you find such pretty selection of contact paper? The contact paper that have I seen are not this cute.
    • Lynette Foxen

She stated Target but you can find many online or even at the dollar store, which is where I got my B&W design.

• Alisa Howard

I actually found some pretty contact paper at the Dollar Tree...
  • Jus21571694

How do you make the seam?
    • Lynette Foxen

The seam is unavoidable because the paper is not wide enough. The seam is from layering the paper.

• Rhonda Teris

If I were to seal it, what should I use?
  • Barbara D

I would like to see this being removed, before I apply it to make sure it can be removed. Thank you.
  • Barbara Watkins

will this work on laminate? Also has anyone tried to remove after sealer has been put down?

• Dgsdks

Haven't tried removing, but it worse especially good on laminate! Because of the smooth surface.
  • Lori

Inspired? Will you try this project?What type of sealer would you use for food grade?
    • Dgsdks

I have a friend who did this. She used bar coat. There's another name for it, but it's the stuff that is on bars and some table tops in restaurants.
  • Amy

I want to try this. Im only hesistant on the paper getting burned. Soooo my question is, did you have to be very conscious not to put any hot pots or pans on the counter?
  • Pameladavisshedd

Can this be put on the fridge to match cabinets and how woulcer you remove?
    What about ovens?
    • Lynda Duthler

There is stainless finish contact paper that can be used for oven door - remember that the oven door is heavily insulated so it is likely to work well. I would not use it on or near the heat elements
  • Barb Brockett

What kind of sealer for food safe?
  • Naga

I want to try this but I am hesitant because these reasons.👇🏻👇🏻
    How do you clean when it's messy? Cleaning with water or cleaners will not ruin the paper?

• Pennie Collins

I used a cheap dish soap for easy clean ups. Get to spills right away so you can avoid stains. One other thought, I used tempered glass cutting boards to avoid any type of contamination. The color faded after about 15 - 18 months. I bought extra contact paper to patch in any damaged areas. I did not seal it except for the caulking. ( it faded on areas that got wiped a lot, not the rest!)
    • Naga

Thank you for replying.
    • Sally

Try using vinyl laminate contact paper. It’s about the same price but you can clean it with literally anything and you can put hot pots on it and it won’t harm it at all. After laying it down and smoothing our the bubbles, take a hair dryer to your seams and any bubbles that would come out. The heat kinda melts the seams together.

• Mpv26632059

What about on a bathroom sink. I also have a sunk bowl?
  • Frances Hunt

How long does this contact paper last before it has to be replaced?
    • Sally

I’ve had vinyl contact laminate paper on for over a year and it still looks good.

• Kathy Kovacev

Excellent work. A question, what is clear chauk?

• Sara

Can you do this on tiles countertops as well?

• Nancy Howard

What would you seal it with if you want to be able to put food on it?

It looks awesome and I can't wait to try it.

• Debbie Duran

I have the same question as Francis. How long does this contact paper last before it has to be replaced?

• Kristen

I can't wait to try this!!!! Can you please let me know what to use on this if you use the counter for food?

• Sharontsuder

How do do the edges?

• Cindy Rubin

How does it hold up to spills and splashes of water? Or scrubbing kitchen grease?

• Kaye

Cindy I put this on my craft desk with all the stuff I use on this it lasted well over a year. I didn’t use a sealer never thought about that. So it would probably still be on.

• Kathie duncan

WHAT can I use to Seal the contact paper if you’re using food on the Countertop

• Debbie Flannery

Same question I have. Wish it was answered.

• Kaye

She said in the how to that they have food safe sealant go to one of the hardware stores and ask them.

• Ginger

If you are renting and your Landlord does not approve, how difficult is it to remove and will it damage the old counter top?

• Kaye

No it is removable. Not like the old contact it will say on that package reposition-able. I’ve used this on a lot of stuff it’s nice

• Joanie

Contact paper is much better than some people think. It is a shocker how well it sticks and wears. I took a marble look contact and applied it to my shelf for my keyboard and used it on my folding snack tables. It has been a longggggggg time now and they still look good.

• Carol Cole

I love it. It is so different to what others have done. Looks wonderful.