How to Clean Your Chalk Painted Furniture

No question about it, painting furniture with chalk paint is the biggest trend in the DIY World. After I have finished my first chalk paint projects 4 years ago, I was wondering how to CLEAN my finished pieces...??? Surprisingly there was not much information about it on the WWW at that time...Well, Murphy's Oil was my best pick for the last years, but in my approach to "Go Green" and to change most of my (toxic) household cleaning products to more natural cleaning solutions I started my research for a dusting/cleaning spray for my chalk painted furniture. Most of the natural, homemade recipes are vinegar based. Vinegar on a chalk painted/waxed surface? Nope!

I was looking for a non-vinegar dusting spray recipe. Castile Soap is one of my favorite cleaning products and part of this recipe. I love Green Beaver Soap Frosty Peppermint (also available in Zesty Orange, Lavender, Cilantro Mint or unscented) . Green Beaver is a family-owned Canadian company who mainly works with Canadian suppliers and uses only organic ingredients. Prices are very reasonable in comparison to the more popular brand Dr. Bronner's. I usually order it from WELL.CA but have also seen it at Canadian Health Food Stores e.g. Wholefoods or Goodness Me and even in the organic aisle at ZEHRS. Here is what you need:
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 TBSP Castile Soap 
  • 6 Drops Essential Oil (I used peppermint) 
  • 1 Spray Bottle (Dollar Store)

Stir well to combine and pour into the spray bottle. It smells sooooooooooo nice and fresh and works really well.
Please check out my blog if you are interested in seeing more recipes for homemade household cleaners. Thanks you!

Kerkli

1 comment