3 Way No Sew Pillow Cases With Spring Scarves

$15

If you want to give your throw pillows a quick and easy update grab an old spring scarf and you are good to go! This tutorial will show you 3 ways to tie a scarf around a pillow insert to create a new pillow case without sewing a stitch! Whether you have very wintry pillows and want fresh look for spring, or you just want to make a custom case, this is an easy way to repurpose a scarf for this!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

3 way no sew pillow cases with spring scarves

SUPPLIES:
-12x18 Pillow Insert (I found these to be the best size, so I bought 3 of them.)
-Spring Scarves of your choice (Long and Wide Work Best)

You can buy the pillow inserts used in this project, here. 

STEP 1: Lay your scarf out flat and place the insert in the center. Fold the width of the scarf up over each edge so they overlap in the middle.

STEP 2: Take each length end of the scarf and pull to the center of the pillow.

STEP 3: Tie the ends of the scarf in a knot at the center of the pillow allowing the ends to hang freely.

That's it for the first way!

STEP 1: For the second way to cover a pillow you will first place the pillow in the center of the scarf and fold up the width to overlap in the middle in the same way you did in step 1 for the first pillow cover.

STEP 2: Pull each ends of the scarf to the middle of the pillow and twist the ends around one another feeding the ends over to the other side of the pillow.

STEP 3: Turn the pillow over and tie the ends of the scarf in a knot at the center on the back of the pillow.

Turn the pillow back around and spread the twisted ends so they aren't bunched up.

*This is a double sided pillow and can be turned either way for a different look!

STEP 1: It is easier to use a square pillow insert for this last cover. Place the pillow once again in the center of the spread out scarf.

STEP 2: Fold over the width of the scarf from either side to overlap in the center.

STEP 3: Pull the length ends of your scarf up to the center of the pillow and twist them around one another. Twist the ends of the scarf tightly all the way to the ends.

STEP 4: Turn the pillow over and wrap the twisted ends to the back and tie them in a knot.

*This pillow can also be turned to either side for a different look!

Here are each of the pillows completed! Such a great variety!

These pillows are such an easy way to update your couch with something you may already have on hand!

If you want to buy the pillows inserts used for this project, click here.

I wanted to show you the backs of case 2 and 3 so that you can see the variety you can get from these wrapping techniques. I am sure there are other ways you could come up with too!

I love the thought of temporarily covering these pillows and then being able to use the scarves again with their original purpose! Such a great option for those without a sewing machine too!

• Sue Lilly

What a fab way of quickly changing your colour scheme
  • Gigi Edmons

Has anyone done this with other fabrics in place of the scarfs? Also seems like a good idea to update your pillows for holidays instead of doing a longer term change.

• Jane

I have but what’s nice about the scarves is they have finished edges. This means they won’t fray. I ended up hemming the edges of other fabric pieces I used.

• Franb

Very clever!

• Tanya Miller Swing

Super sweet! I’m moving into a new apartment and am starting over and live on disability but want to decorate where I don’t look so poor and you just helped me solve one problem!!!! Thank you! I’m loving sooooo many of your ‘projects’!!!