Gail@Purple Hues and Me
Gail@Purple Hues and Me
  • Millersville, MD

It's So Much More Than a Laundry Detergent - Borax Crystals Decor

$3.00

While looking for inspirations online, I came across a picture of a beautiful decorative turquoise crystal made with Borax. I couldn't believe how pretty it looked! I've done the popular science experiment for making crystals with cub scouts years ago. But the results weren't elaborate like this. They were just plain crystals on a string. Fun and exciting for the boys but nothing like what was pictured. I had to see for myself if I could make something this amazing! So I googled borax crystals and you won't believe how easy it is to make.

it s so much more than a laundry detergent borax crystals decor, home decor

Begin by forming a base of chenille stems for the crystals to form on.  I wanted a bowl shape so I first made a circle of chenille stems and then wrapped and connected the circle with more stems, leaving very little space in-between.  I shaped the sides upward and around like a bowl.  Next, I tied thin twine on one end and connected the other end to the middle of a dowel rod.

Next, pour 2 quarts of water into a heatproof container and bring to a boil.

Add food coloring.  I used the chart on the box for mixing purple.  I wanted the deepest color I could get so I used most of the red dye and mixed it with blue.  I dipped folded paper towels in the mixture to see the shades of purple.
     Satisfied with the color, add two cups of Borax and stir to dissolve.  Continue adding Borax until it stops dissolving and no more can be saturated.  You will see undissolved bits floating.

Dip the chenille stem form into the solution to saturate  .  .  .

and then dip it in again, resting the rod on top of the container and making sure the bottom and sides of the form are not touching the glass.

Turn off the heat and cover with a piece of cardboard to prevent heat from escaping.  Allow to cool naturally and undisturbed overnight.

The next morning, lift the rod, pulling the crystal out, allowing the liquid to drain back into the container.

All I can say is, wow!

Allow to dry completely on a paper towel.

And finally, cut off attached twine.

To prevent moisture and heat deteriorating the crystals, apply a clear gloss sealant, and the piece should last for years.

I'm really impress and amazed how beautiful the crystals are!  Makes for a lovely accent piece!  Can't wait to make more!

Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Tracy Huffman

what else can you use besides pipe cleaners???

• Lisa West

I wonder if this could be used in jewelry making. I have been on glass beads jewelry making the last 2 weeks. I forgot how enjoyable it is. Lol any way I wonder as long as the Crystal's are sealed if that can be done. A pretty crystal bracket necklace or earring and possibly a ring. What do you think? Making crystal are fun to thanks rmfor reminding us that science truly is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

• Gail@Purple Hues and Me

That's a fabulous idea, Lisa! Besides making crystal jewelry, I think there are so many other possibilities, too! Just make sure to find a good sealant. If not, the color will fade.

• Tanya Thompson

Hello! I was wanting to know if 2 cups Borax is all it takes or add more than 2 cups as needed?

• Sandy

She said start out with 2 cups and gradually add until the borax can’t be absorbed any more and floats on top