Get Trendy Anthropolgie Storage Using a Cake Pan

$20

I saw a shelf at Anthropologie recently that was made to look as if it was formed from an old cake pan and figured it was a good project I could make myself. I love keeping up with the Anthro trends, but this one wasn't in my budget. So here's what I decided to do!

I got a cake pan and a bit of wood and some fun drawer pulls and made this great looking circle shelf in no time! You can customize your shelf with various drawer pulls or paint finishes to match any room or aesthetic! This cake pan shelf will work in just about any room and makes for a great character piece.

SUPPLIES:

-1x3x4 lumber

-Hacksaw

-2 Drawer Pulls

-4 1" Wood Screws

-12+" Springform Cake Pan

-Sponge

-Gold Craft Paint (optional)

-Drill

-Picture Hangers

STEP 1: Remove the bottom of the springform pan and leave the clasp open so the pan is at it's widest point.

STEP 2: Measure the diameter of your cake pan in 2 different spots where you would like your shelves to rest.

STEP 3: Take your measurements from step 2 and draw a line across the lumber at each distance.

Use your hacksaw to cut the pieces away from the wood.

STEP 4: (optional) Place a blot of your paint on a sponge and dab it onto the ring of the cake pan and set aside to dry.

STEP 5: Place your wood pieces into the ring of the cake pan and make sure they are resting level.

STEP 6: Take a drill and drill a pilot hole through the outside of the cake pan into the side of the shelves on each side.

STEP 7: Grab your wood screws and screw through the outside of the cake pan into the shelves to secure them into place.

STEP 8: Drill another pilot hole the size of the thread of your drawer pulls into either side of one of the shelves.

STEP 9: Screw your drawer pulls into the holes you just drilled until they are tightly in place.

STEP 10: Turn your shelf over so the back is facing up and screw picture hangers into the back.

STEP 11: Hang your shelf where you wish.

STEP 12: Fill up your shelves with whatever you wish!

As you can see this works great in the kitchen, as bathroom storage, or even as a nice place to store your sunny's

A very similar cake pan shelf was almost $150 at Anthropologie and I made this one for a small fraction of the price and it looks great to boot!

I love all the character that the handles added. Though you don't need them, they are a fun way to add some character to the piece.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Fun Things You Can Make Using Your Cricut
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers

• Brenda Grover Clark

I love this idea and want to make a few. I wondered, though, at what point you closed the the latch on the pan? Also, did you glue the latch down or screw it down so that it would not spring open once the shelves were in place?

• Mcgypsy9
      13 minutes ago

I actually think she did close the latch. Either way, it will work but I personally would close it!

• Teresa Hawes Lee

I have 3 of those pans garage sale finds! Great idea! I use them for making my own stepping stones.

• Mcgypsy9
      15 minutes ago

Teresa I have several myself from garage sale finds with all intention of making this hanging shelf. I am almost to the point of hanging things on the walls now so they will be coming soon! I hadn’t thought about using them for stepping stones...lol!

• Megan

How did you screw the drawer pulls on to the ring? The screws for the pulls you use, which I ordered, get screwed in from the inside

• Mcgypsy9
      21 minutes ago

The pulls she used were a bit different than yours if you ordered the ones from amazon that are showing.

You can definitely screw them in from the inside. They will lay flat against the pan.

• Julie

Love it . Thx!

• Mike Okumura
    15 hours ago

yes, i enjoyed 'em, although i'm 60% paralyzed from a farm accident 10 yrs. past, so can only look at these nice projects only. so, i'm only vicariously enjoying 'em. lol thx