Upcycled Ladder Planter

Last week I shared with you my Farmhouse Shed Makeover, that was quite an undertaking!! Today I wanted to show you how I started decorating the outside of the shed with this Spring Upcycled Ladder Planter! The previous owners had left an old ladder with baskets on the front of the house. I knew I wanted to do something with it someday, so I saved it and found the perfect place for it on the side of our shed!! See how I took about an one hour to turn an old ladder into this fun planter for under $30.
I started with this old ladder that the previous owner had tied old baskets to. I removed the baskets and got to staining it with my HomeRight Stain Master.
I used Minwax Classic Gray Stain for this project.
The Stainmaster really helps me get it stained quickly without all the work of brushing it on. I was able to get it stained in about 5 minutes.
I let it dry and then I screwed on these planter holders. Because the ladder rungs weren't that thick, I positioned the holders and then screwed them directly onto the shed so that the ladder and the holders were hung at the same time (see below for example). The screws that came to install them were HUGE so it worked out well.
Once we installed the planters, I bought some flowers and put them in small black pots I got from Lowe's.
The whole thing took about 30 minutes and I love the little bit of whimsy and decor it adds to the shed. I just wish the ladder was a "tad" longer than it is...but beggars can't be choosers ;)
Here's the finished look at the Shed Makeover and the planter on the side of the shed.

Abbey D

• Julie Mullins

Oh I lobe this idea. How cute this is
  • Caroline

Love love love...found a old wooden ladder on the side of the road last fall...have never seen these pot holders before...BRILLANT! Thank you!