Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Dollar Store Picture Frame Terrarium

$10

Terrariums are hot right now and so are the prices. Using six to eight dollar store picture frames, you can make one for a lot less.
dollar store picture frame terrarium
For my project, I purchased four 8" x 10" frames and four 4" x 6" frames.
Begin by removing the back and "picture" from each frame.
Remove the glass.
Add a drop of glue to each corner.
Place the glass back into the frame and allow to dry for an hour.
dollar store picture frame terrarium
To make the bottom, run a bead of E6000 glue along the edge of each 8" x 10" frame. Put the frame edges together.
dollar store picture frame terrarium
Using Painter's tape , tape each corner after applying glue. Allow to dry one hour.
dollar store picture frame terrarium
Using the four 4" x 6" frame, make the roof.
Put a bead of glue along the long edges. Place one edge of the smaller frame onto the edge of the bottom and the other edge along the edge of the other 4" x 6" frame to make the roof's peak.
Put painter's tape on your joints and allow to dry one hour.
dollar store picture frame terrarium
Remove the painter's tape and enjoy your new terrarium!
These could also be used outdoors. You could also paint your frames before construction using spray paint.
dollar store picture frame terrarium
This is another one I created by using six document frames (like the one to the left of the terrarium). So simple and so cool.
We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Judi

What kind of glue was used???

(New to crafting, sorry.)

• Loretta Jarrell Nebe

E6000 is great for all craft projects, it's water proof, sturdy, dried clear,etc. I have crafted for years an have used many glues with trial and error. E6000 is awesome for every type of material.

• Teresa Ann Ford

You are good. What else do you do

• Melinda

Is the top glued on or does it just sit on top so you can take it off to add or water plants?

• Alicia W

Hi Melinda. Yes the top is glued on. There is no bottom so to water plants, just lift the entire thing off the plant, water and then place it back over top.

• Cricket

I am inspired by this easy but elegant and simple project. I will be making a trip to the dollar store sometime soon. Thanks for sharing!

• Suzanna Berg

I absolutely love this! Thanks so much for the inspiration 💕