No-Sew Curtains & Curtain Rod for Less Than $15!

$15

Let's face it, curtains and curtain rods can be EXPENSIVE! Especially, if you are looking for prints or patterns. I found a solution that is inexpensive and involves absolutely no sewing, which is a bonus for a lot of people. All you need is a flat sheet and a little plumbing/electrical hardware.
no sew curtains curtain rod for less than 15
SUPPLIES:

- Flat Sheet (I used a double sheet)

- Hem Tape (Iron on)

- Iron

- Scissors

- Bracket

- Pipe

- Xacto Knife

- Screws
Step 1) Fold your flat sheet in half lengthwise.

Step 2) Cut along the fold, to create two equal pieces of fabric. These are your two curtain panels.

Step 3) Apply hem tape to the raw edge of your curtain panel. Do this to each piece of fabric. Be sure to follow manufacturers instructions.
Step 4) Fold the edge of the fabric over the hem tape.
Step 5) Using your iron, press the fabric over the hem tape and hold until the hem tape has sealed to the fabric.
Voila! Our finished edge now matches the other side of the sewn edge.
Step 6) Create slits in the top hem of the curtain panel. Use a sharp blade and be sure not to go through the front side of the fabric. Only through the back. Space your slits about 5" apart.
Step 7) Thread your pipe through the slits.
Step 8) Screw your brackets into the wall and thread the pipe into the brackets. Attach the end caps (that come with your pipe) to each end of the pipe.

I chose to spray paint mine to match my curtains.
The finished product. I love how my curtains brighten up our neutral living room. I used simple ribbon tie backs for a more daytime friendly effect. Don't you love how the slits create that pleated effect?
A close-up of the hardware. No one would guess those were made out of a flat sheet!

• Carolyn Smith Tant

I bought 2 twin sheets to make a valance for a double window. I want a ruffle at the top. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to do this? I only want it to come down about a third of the window, so I'll have to cut the sheets off at the bottom. I will appreciate any suggestions.

• Davette Walling

Whenever I wanted a valance when using sheets... I used sheets meant to be folded down over a blanket. These often come with a ruffle or decorative edge. I would fold that over and make a new rod pocket an valance. Then the rest of the panel was used for the curtain. This leaves less pooling on the floor usually too.

• Marilyn

When cutting the slits, how can you not end up cutting through and slicing the back piece of fabric?

• Elfrieda

Why can't you just fold it horizontally, make tiny slits for your guide and then you can go back and enlarge the slits.

• Margaret E. Bates

Clever, but maybe better if they just grazed the floor? And yes, how DO you cut through just one thickness for your slits?

• Ellaine

I plan on putting something in the slit. you know like a broom handle or something. Have it measured where I want the slit then cut right there with the broom handle still in. I won't be able to cut past the handle and it'll be easier to cut as it's up off the bottom layer. Make sense?

• Rosy

Instead of cutting slits I had some clip on curtain rings and sliped them on the rod.

• Von

Curtains don’t have to be expensive! Walmart has great prices, I buy mine.