No-Sew Curtains & Curtain Rod for Less Than $15!

$15

Let's face it, curtains and curtain rods can be EXPENSIVE! Especially, if you are looking for prints or patterns. I found a solution that is inexpensive and involves absolutely no sewing, which is a bonus for a lot of people. All you need is a flat sheet and a little plumbing/electrical hardware.
SUPPLIES:

- Flat Sheet (I used a double sheet)

- Hem Tape (Iron on)

- Iron

- Scissors

- Bracket

- Pipe

- Xacto Knife

- Screws
Step 1) Fold your flat sheet in half lengthwise.

Step 2) Cut along the fold, to create two equal pieces of fabric. These are your two curtain panels.

Step 3) Apply hem tape to the raw edge of your curtain panel. Do this to each piece of fabric. Be sure to follow manufacturers instructions.
Step 4) Fold the edge of the fabric over the hem tape.
Step 5) Using your iron, press the fabric over the hem tape and hold until the hem tape has sealed to the fabric.
Voila! Our finished edge now matches the other side of the sewn edge.
Step 6) Create slits in the top hem of the curtain panel. Use a sharp blade and be sure not to go through the front side of the fabric. Only through the back. Space your slits about 5" apart.
Step 7) Thread your pipe through the slits.
Step 8) Screw your brackets into the wall and thread the pipe into the brackets. Attach the end caps (that come with your pipe) to each end of the pipe.

I chose to spray paint mine to match my curtains.
The finished product. I love how my curtains brighten up our neutral living room. I used simple ribbon tie backs for a more daytime friendly effect. Don't you love how the slits create that pleated effect?
A close-up of the hardware. No one would guess those were made out of a flat sheet!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
15 Perfectly Round Tables
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before

• Marilyn

When cutting the slits, how can you not end up cutting through and slicing the back piece of fabric?

• Elfrieda

Why can't you just fold it horizontally, make tiny slits for your guide and then you can go back and enlarge the slits.

• Margaret E. Bates

Clever, but maybe better if they just grazed the floor? And yes, how DO you cut through just one thickness for your slits?

• Lynda Haight

I would slide something between the front and back (inside the hem) to keep from cutting the front?

• Linda Hennessee Melton

Could you iron on a fabric adhesive strip across the back of the top where you need to cut the slits and then cut the slits through the adhesive strip and top layer of fabric to keep it from fraying? Don't know that much about fabric adhesive sheets.

• Von

Curtains don’t have to be expensive! Walmart has great prices, I buy mine.

• Flower girl

I like it. Never would have thought of slitting just one layer. It does give a pleated effect. Nicely done.