Dull Italian Living Room Gets a Dramatic Makeover

$126

We have a wee house in a rural village in the heart of Italy - it has been in my husband's family for a couple of generations and has been left to him. We have used it as a bolt-hole for years, but it has always needed some serious TLC, which we have only recently been able to give it. It has one bedroom with a largish living/dining room, which we use for accommodating extra guests on a bed-settee.
The far wall is most unusual as it it is totally blank - no window, door or even radiator. It is an open-plan space, so looking from the kitchen, all you see is is this blank wall. I have been looking (subliminally) for something special for that wall and I believe I found it!
Horrible, square room with horrible furniture
That wardrobe was removed from this room, it was stripped and chalk painted and relocated to the Bedroom (where it belonged). More on that project later

Using "Stick to the wall" paste, we gave the wall a first coat, allowing the wall to soak up the paste, making it easier to move the paper around when lining up the pattern.

Leaving the first coast of paste to dry, it was then given a second coat. Bearing in mind that walls are usually plaster here in the Mediterranean and usually "thirsty", the second coat alows some leeway in terms of moving paper around to line it up.
First strip of mural is applied
Then the second
The (almost) finished project. Still needs a sofa bed, but is now a wonderful space to spend some time
The all-important view from the kitchen! What a transformation.
I thought you all might be interested to see the finished room, complete with sofabed, now making this an extra bedroom.
I am delighted with the finished project and am now looking forward to tackling the downstairs.
View of the very clever Vilasund sofabed (in grey) fron Ikea.

Catherine Di Placido

• Dis12548337

Where did you get the mural?
    • Millie

Gorgeous Transformation! I love it! I would like to have a sofa bed just like that one!

• Pr.17436242

could you make it so the clock can tell actual time
    • Lady Anne

Denise is right; it would have to be an entire clock to make it work. What you have there is only one quarter of a clock face - from 9 to almost 1.

• Wanda Cox Roberts

Why did you not center the mural? Love it though.

• MK McDonald

I think it’s a corner that sticks out..like a pillar. It looks great. It’s your home and you decorated as you saw fit. Great job!

• Arlene Ellerbrock

WOW. I just love your transformation! It is stunning!

• Dpbeee2

Good! I like the mural. A great departure from those pastoral scenes. The corner needs a floor lamp. Thank you.