I Found More Storage by Replacing My Double Door Base Cabinet!

$100

The double door base cabinet turned into a giant mess of pots and pans and Tupperware. I need a solution to make it more useable.

This worked so well I did it in another project too.
I removed the 2x doors and the half shelf that was in the back (useless shelf). There also was a pull out box on the bottom, but you had to open both doors to pull it out and items always fell out making it a challenge to get things.
I added some side supports so I could attach the full extension slides. This is to also fill in the space on each side, and bring the wall flush with the face frame.
Here I am adding one of the 22 inch drawer slides.
I will be using drawers so I needed a cross bar. 2x pocket screws on each end hold it in place... along with a tight friction fit.
Here is the drawer box. It is a simple 1/2 inch plywood construction. Cabinet grade Blonde wood plywood.
It is just glued together held together with long staples using my air gun. To add a little strength, I put a few 1 1/4 inch screws just to help hold it together while the glue dried.

After the glue dried... I put on light oak stain/sealant to protect the inside walls and edges. For the base, I put some white contact paper on the bottom.
Here you can see the drawers installed on the glides. They are 9 inch tall drawers in a 10 1/4 inch opening.
Here you can see the fronts I added. The widest board I could buy was 11 1/4" tall, so that determined the size of the drawers and openings I built.
The bottom holds all of our pots and pans with lids. It is a big improvement over what we had before. I may add some dividers one day, but for now... we can see everything easily.
The top is for Tupperware... I wanted the lids to have their own place... so I added a simple runner on each side... allowing me to friction slide the mini shelf forward and backwards. Sliding the top lets us look underneath to get anything in the back.

We love it! Hope it inspires you.

• 1/2inch Plywood  (Knobs)
  • Drawer fronts  (Router for edge profile of drawer fronts)

• Tina Clemons

How much did it cost and how long did it take to do this? Does everything stay in the drawer now?
    • David McIntosh

Always hard to answer cost since I had most of the pieces from previous projects...

Everything stays place... I even converted a few more http://www.hometalk.com/30568517/convert-messy-kitchen-cabinets-into-usful
    • Tina Clemons

I have no double door storage on the bottom cupboards and what I would use more for that has been replaced with something I don't really use. So it makes it hard. I do have small single door storage one is only a little larger than the other. The few drawers we have are full. The other cabinet space is full of other things like drygoods and kitchen supplies dishes etc. So it's hard to get my pans and baking pans to stay organized. I hope someday we can stretch that out to accommodate the things we use and the things we don't use as often. Your drawers looked very inviting as a result. But I don't know when we would be able to do that. Thanks for trying to answer my question.
  • Allison Velez

That is great!
  • Darlene Schaar Crandall

GREAT job. Thanks for sharing.
  • A

Where did you get the drawer fronts shown at the end?

• David McIntosh

I bought the largest piece of "poplar wood" from Lowes which was 11 1/4" tall. I cut them do width and used my router to trim the edges to match the rest of the cabinet profiles.
    • Lesley Brough

How about just cutting the doors in half and fixing to the drawer fronts. With or without routing the cut edges.
    • Patty Dell'Anno

The doors aren't wide enough to cover the drawer front.

• David McIntosh

I like the look of the drawer front better.

On a different drawer, I did re-use the door: seen here

• Nancy Wilson

I have one of those corner cabinets that makes it difficult to use. It's an apartment so I can't put in a lazy susan cabinet. I presently store things I rarely use but it's basically empty, while the front half is full. The same thing goes for the upper cabinets in that corner. Do you have a suggestion for a fix on this cabinet problem? I love the drawer solution you've done for my only other below-counter cabinet.
    • David McIntosh

Is it a "blind corner" cabinet? There are a few things you could do... basically a multiple pull out drawer to get access to that back section easily.

You could build some of them or buy as retro-fit. Then take it with you when you move.

REV-A-SHELF make lots of options that you can install.. they are metal.
    • Brenda Mitchell

1. Would this not keep you from having the use of the front part of the cabinet opening? You would have to take everything out to pull the drawer forward.
    • Nancy Wilson

Exactly Brenda . It is extremely difficult to find any solutions other than the turntable.

• Susan

Put everything in the front of the cabinet in a basket or tub. Then u only have to remove one item to utilize the pull out drawer.
    • Arlene S. King

David, I love your project. Also, this site is an excellent resource.....thank you for posting! http://roselawnlutheran.org/decor/blind-corner-cabinet-pull-out-shelf/
    • Eliz

Agree with susan.......but one lil addition to that if you cant slide these things out well...found by placing plastic placemats or similar work wonders on the shelves underneath the tubs baskets etc. Covered two cabinets with some plastic placemats ....now I dont worry about not being to slide things out... I did learn to not yank or pull to hard .the baskets come out to quick otherwise.

• Shi22232947

David love this idea. Question about the second picture. Did you place those pieces of wood on the sides. are they to hold the top drawer in place? You added the front bar but should a person add another bar going front to back for support of the drawer up to? Would love my hubby to do this for my closet.
    • Gai28494358

Long baskets like bread baskets 18".
      Or wire chafing dish baskets covered with fabric-- mine were $2 from Sam's. You can attach $1 ball bearing rollers on bottom-- from Harbor freight.
      My blind corner goes to the right 30" past the door. biggest hurdle was the door was only 17" wide so I couldn't get much of a Susan in there.
  • Sandra Lauria

Is it possible to put in the drawers but leave the outside doors as it would be very hard to replicate mine?

• Carol Marshall Alexander

Yes. My hubby put shallow drawers behind my original cabinet doors with no problems. I thank him every time I open a door and pull out a drawer. I now have two full depth drawers instead of that awful stationary half shelf. Good luck with your project.
    • David McIntosh

That is what I had before I did this... a bottom pull out drawer behind the doors. We hated having to open the double doors just to pull out the drawer.
    • Jeanna grabusiie

You can buy drawer fronts. Look for refacing cabinetry companies they have every profile
    • Laurie S

My husband installed a pots and pans on bottom with lid holder on top slide out rack inside my cabinet and I absolutely love it!

My daughter wants one now, as well, for her kitchen...lol!

He bought ours at Lowes. Most hardware stores will carry them.

• David McIntosh

• Liz

We just tore out our entire kitchen and replaced all cupboards with drawers. Only got rid of a few things and am amazed at how much more room we have. Even though all cupboards were full, we have 2 drawers that are empty. Yeah!!!! Also doing it ourselves (hubby building cabinets and drawers) we saved about $10,000.

• Bernice H

So happy for you. Our kitchen cost almost half again as much...but drawers..big deep and wide are the way to go!

• Kelli Cook

Looks great but your pots drawer needs some organising. Tupperware drawer is perfect!

• David McIntosh

Totally agree... but none of them stack. I plan to buy all new pans that organize better...