Electrical Spool Bookshelf/Table

$30

I've seen tons of ideas floating around online for repurposing electrical spools and with Rob working in construction, he can always get his hands on them so I was happy to finally make Bo a little activity table. It was surprisingly easier than I thought and I think it came out really cute and functional!
SUPPLIES:
-wooden electrical spool
-closet dowels (1-1/8"x48")
-Behr flat matte paint (colors: Cozy Cottage and French Colony)
-2" paint brush
-Everbilt 2" wood screws
-3 swivel casters with brake
-DeWalt drill

Not pictured:
-measuring tape
-chop saw

STEP 1: Measure
The first thing I did for this project was measure the height of the electrical spool. This is the measurement I went with to create my spindles.

STEP 2: Paint
Next, I painted my electrical spool with Behr flat "French Colony" matte paint. You don't have to paint the bottom side of the spool but I chose to go ahead and paint everything.
I decided to paint my spindles a different color than the spool so I went ahead and did so before cutting the closet dowels into spindles. I chose Behr flat matte Cozy Cottage paint.
STEP 3: Cut dowels
After everything was painted, I used a chop saw (you can use a manual saw if you don't have power tools), I cut my spindles at 16".
STEP 4: Attach spindles
To attach the spindles, I screwed a 2" wood screw in just enough to where I could see it through the underside of the spool where I wanted to place each spindle.
Then, I placed the spindle directly under the screw...
...and finally, I finished drilling in the screw. Once all of the spindles were screwed in place on one end of the spool, I flipped the spool over and secured the other end of the spindles with another screw.
STEP 5: Attach casters
Finally, I attached 3 casters, {roughly} evenly spaced on the bottom of the spool. I used 3/4" screws I had on hand to secure the casters.
With the casters installed, this little bookshelf/activity table is the perfect height for Bo! He loves having a spot that he can work on puzzles and play with toys (he was always using the coffee table in our living room!).
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Cindoco Upcr11848 Ramin Dowels, Pink, 1 1/8" X 48" (Pack of 10)

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
25 Christmas Wreath Ideas You Don't Want To Miss This Year
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls

• Mau23829020
    Mau23829020

Where should I check for an ectrical spool
  • Sarge
    Sarge

In the first photo, the top is delaminated on one side, how did you fix this?

• Deb Johnson
      Deb Johnson

You can use wood glue and a clamp to fix this or just flip it over to the other side.

• Carol Jollymore
    Carol Jollymore

I really like this project and it inspires me as these spools come by from time to time and even thought their shape suggests, no screams 'TABLE' I never thought of a good way to implement it. However I was thinking of a change that I would use. I would want a smoother finish for the top and I would like to have a top that extends a bit so that a chair would fit under it better because a spool has the same dimension top and bottom normally. That's how I will do it. Thank you for inspiring me!

• Linda Abate
    Linda Abate

What a great idea. Love how you turned this boring wire spool into something so useful. A great way to keep little ones interested in reading, especially when they can see their collection of story books. LOVE IT.