How Baking Soda Can Change the Way You Paint—in Just 5 Minutes

$4

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)
Chalk paint is super trendy (still!) because it quickly gives your surface an aged, matte look that is easily distressed. But, oh boy, can it get super pricey! I've got the perfect 3 ingredient hack for turning any house paint into chalk paint in 5 minutes.
First, you'll need baking soda. This recipe will make a little over 1 cup of paint. For a quart of paint, quadruple the amount, but remember that it dries out quickly.

Mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1 cup of latex paint. Make sure to mix it well—you’ll need the consistency that my mixture had in the video. Lastly, add a few tbs of cold water.

Mix your ingredient until they create a thin, non-grainy texture. It takes a bit of time to dissolve all the baking soda, but, as you can see in the video, once it’s dissolved it will look just like the chalk paint you buy in stores.

This one cup of paint was more than enough to paint my end table and coffee table. I’m loving how genuinely chalky they look (and how little I spent)!

• Danielle St-Pierre

Hello,

Does your recipe give the same texture as if I would use plaster Paris? please.

Because I have two very large desks to do.

Merci

Danielle

• Vijaya

Do you have to use latex paint?

• Wendy
      23 minutes ago

Yes, I've found that it does need to be latex paint.

• Vijaya

How long do you need to mix?

• Wendy
      16 minutes ago

It took me about 7-10 min using a paint stir stick. My arms were slightly burning so my daughter willingly took over for a few min. Next time I'd use a dollar store wisk. But you save money & looks equivalent so was well worth it & I have my mom doing this in her home too, but for her great grandchildren & she's loving doing it.

• Erica Smith

AWESOME! Homemade Chalk Paint is the best! The other Chalk Paints are way to expensive in my book also! I do like the Waverly also but nothing beats homemade! You can also use Plasterparis

Blessings,

Erica

• Candice Gollam

Wish someone could have answered the questions above. Great questions

• Wendy
      8 minutes ago

I have made a few comments but if you need other info that I didn't answer & can be of assistance let me know. I have a gmail account you can email me if you'd like. sensationalstorm.001