Kelleysgirl
Kelleysgirl
  • Friendswood, TX

Lamp Upcycle

$5

I bought two lamps from Kirklands on sale several years ago that I liked but didn't love. I needed them for my bedroom, and the price was right, so I went ahead and purchased them, knowing at some point in time I would make them over.
lamp upcycle
This is what they originally looked like. I love the shape of them, and the fact that the shade is removable. What I did not like was the swirly decorations on the outside, doesn't quite mesh with my rustic/farmhouse style. Yesterday I decided to finally begin my makeover.
lamp upcycle
I totally stripped the outside off, was pretty easy and only took a few minutes. This is what I was left with.
lamp upcycle
I replaced the shade, and actually thought of leaving it this way. But I forged ahead.
lamp upcycle
I have a confession to make-I am in love with THIS STUFF! I find so many ways to incorporate chicken wire and hardware cloth into my decor. For this project I used hardware cloth, but you could also use chicken wire.
lamp upcycle
I measured around the lamp, and used my wire cutters to cut a piece of hardware cloth slightly larger than I needed. Since I was working in my bedroom, I placed a piece of white paper on top of my busy quilt so you could see it more clearly.
lamp upcycle
I began bending it around my lamp form- not an easy job with arthritic fingers. Once I had in the shape I wanted, I took it outside and spray painted the wire black. I forgot to take a pic.
lamp upcycle
I began bending the wire edges around the lamp, on the back side. Don't worry about the scratched off paint, I resprayed it when I was done.
lamp upcycle
This is the back side after I attached the last side with wire and touched up the paint. Since it is on the back, I wasn't too concerned about it being perfect.
lamp upcycle
And here it is, all finished!
lamp upcycle
Fits my style much better now.

:)

I originally posted this using the term chicken wire and some folks weren't happy with me about it, so I changed my wording. You could use either one for this project.

• Hardware cloth  (Home Depot)
  • Lamp  (Kirklands)
Kelleysgirl

• Linda

Great work! I have to ask, in the fourth picture, the one with the CHICKEN WIRE in a roll, where did you get the quilt/coverlet? Thank you in advance.
    • Kelleysgirl

Carolyn, hardware cloth has the square holes, and is actually much stronger than regular chicken wire. Some people prefer to use it as chicken wire because of that. Chicken wire has hexagonal holes.
  • Sue

how about adding artificial vine woven on the wire?
  • Alisa Gray Hugen

I meant say where did you get the rug?

• Woo12810051

great look. I love it! thank you for sharing.
  • Nancy

I love your insight, changing the swirls out for chicken wire, they did not make sense to me either. Plus you can hang seasonal small items with hooks on the wire, or small pictures.