How to Grow Cucamelons!

1 Material
$3

Every year I try to grow something in my garden that we have never had before. It gives us a chance to try something new that we normally wouldn't have access to. Last year I decided to grow Cucamelons (Melothria scabra).
Cucamelons originally come from Central America. They are fast growing once established and require very little care. Even though cucamelons are pretty common in the southwest, they are still fairly rare up north. While cucamelons may look like some kind of fancy new hybrid, they are not. They look a lot like miniature watermelons, but taste just like cucumbers!
Plant in full sun, spacing seedlings up to a foot apart. Mulch around plants to maintain soil moisture. Provide a trellis for them to grow up. They can get upwards of 6 feet! Cucamelons are drought tolerant though they like to be watered often.

Cucamelons are edible at almost any size, but grape sized is ordeal. Fruit becomes harder and seedy after it reaches about 1" in length...but is still edible. Cucamelons are ready when they pull from the vine easily. Because this is such a high volume producer, you'll have to check for more fruit about every other day. The vines will produce fruit from July till your first frost.
Cucamelons can be eaten plain or used in salads and other fresh vegetable dishes like salsa. I use them in pretty much anything I use cucumbers in. Slice in half and dip in ranch dressing (the kids love this!) You can also substitute cucamelons for the cucumbers in my Almost Famous Cucumber Salad. They're so good and so cute, you'll want to find a million ways to use them!

• Cucamelon seeds  (http://amzn.to/2utZgcU)

LA Murano

• Eli15964061

Where can I get the Cucamonga seeds besides online?
    • LA Murano

I'm not really sure. You may find them at a local farmers market or whole food store. I saw them for sale at the Mother Earth News fair last year so if you have one of those coming to town or other health fair they might have them also.
  • Tjo28456471

Can use them for pickling instead of cucumbers?
    • LA Murano

Yes you can! I used the same recipe as I did for regular pickles.