Melissa Woods
Melissa Woods
  • Saint Joseph, MN

Stair Railing DIY Makeover

$33
1 Week

I completely revamped our stair railing by removing the outdated oak balustrade and building a new one. I have a modern style so I went with a sleek, metal, horizontal design. This is a photo of our old stair railing.
stair railing diy makeover
I put together a video to show the step by step process of how I revamped the whole thing. I did look up my state's building code and this railing meets specifications (4" apart rails, weight bearing requirements, etc). I know horizontal rails aren't always the safest, but we have had no problems with them in our house! We love the look and it works for our family.
You can see that I used the existing newel post and simply modified it to give it a more modern look. The materials list for this project can be found in my blog post (link at the end of this article). I only spent $33 to do this project!
stair railing diy makeover
This diy project was something I was very nervous to begin, but it ended up turning out better than I could have dreamed!
stair railing diy makeover
Don't forget to pin these images and subscribe to my youtube channel/blog!
stair railing diy makeover
To see more projects I've done, like that cool wall decor sign hanging in the background, just visit my blog!
stair railing diy makeover
Thanks for reading about my stair railing makeover and watching the video of how I did it myself! I hope I have inspired you in some way to take on a DIY project of your own. 
stair railing diy makeover
Hit the link below to find my blog post with a complete materials list, cost of the project, detailed instructions, and photos of the whole room. Subscribe to my blog to see more home improvement projects like this one. I've been redoing our entryway lately and I would love for you to see.
Melissa Woods

• Alisa Howard

Why no handrail? I have to use handrails to steady myself as I go up and down stairs. My children and now grandchildren use handrails to go up and down stairs as well.
    • Pink

There was a hand rail going down the stairs on the other wall that was removed. I believe that is the one that Alisa is referring to.
  • Liz

Where did you get the poles and how much? Very nice looking!
  • Linda Bender

Only one problem with this. It looks great but would never pass a home inspection. It isn't up to code. You have taken a railing and turned it into a ladder that will attract little ones to climb. I see little children in the shots. How long before there is a climbing accident?

• Lee

Just a comment that this railing does not meet code because you can't have any railing that can be climbed
  • Francesca Giulino

Very well done!