Stair Railing DIY Makeover

$33
1 Week

I completely revamped our stair railing by removing the outdated oak balustrade and building a new one. I have a modern style so I went with a sleek, metal, horizontal design. This is a photo of our old stair railing.
I put together a video to show the step by step process of how I revamped the whole thing. I did look up my state's building code and this railing meets specifications (4" apart rails, weight bearing requirements, etc). I know horizontal rails aren't always the safest, but we have had no problems with them in our house! We love the look and it works for our family.
You can see that I used the existing newel post and simply modified it to give it a more modern look. The materials list for this project can be found in my blog post (link at the end of this article). I only spent $33 to do this project!
This diy project was something I was very nervous to begin, but it ended up turning out better than I could have dreamed!
Don't forget to pin these images and subscribe to my youtube channel/blog!
To see more projects I've done, like that cool wall decor sign hanging in the background, just visit my blog!
Thanks for reading about my stair railing makeover and watching the video of how I did it myself! I hope I have inspired you in some way to take on a DIY project of your own. 
Hit the link below to find my blog post with a complete materials list, cost of the project, detailed instructions, and photos of the whole room. Subscribe to my blog to see more home improvement projects like this one. I've been redoing our entryway lately and I would love for you to see.

18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Welcome to the Woods

• Liz

Where did you get the poles and how much? Very nice looking!
  • Linda Bender

Only one problem with this. It looks great but would never pass a home inspection. It isn't up to code. You have taken a railing and turned it into a ladder that will attract little ones to climb. I see little children in the shots. How long before there is a climbing accident?

• Lindsay Bonini

Love this so much! I followed your link to find out how much the black bars will cost me and they are not listed on the website. What was the name of the metal bars?