Missy Burch
Missy Burch
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Texas City, TX

Dollar Store Straw Hat Wreath

$6

Here is an easy project you can do in about 15 minutes, if you have the supplies on hand, or if you make a quick trip to your local dollar tree. It's a low cost project as well, easy to do & super cute. You can make it as fancy or as simple as you like, for any season you like & change up as often as you want, reusing your hat, since you're not gluing much down. I'll explain more as we go along.
dollar store straw hat wreath
Here is our simple straw hat from the dollar tree. These come in different colors for spring/summer too- so you can really have fun with this. They have different ribbon colors, so pick your starting theme there.
dollar store straw hat wreath
I removed the hang tag the use to merchandise these & sewed it to the top of the hat, as a hanger for the wreath. Since they are see through, no one will notice once the wreath is done & hung up.
dollar store straw hat wreath
Since I chose a hat with a blue ribbon, I decided on blue & purple flowers, which I had on hand, as well as some light blueish butterflies.
dollar store straw hat wreath
I pulled out an assortment of ribbon, sequins & trim, but I decided on the rhinestone trim, which I put around the hat band with some tacky glue.
dollar store straw hat wreath
Clip your floral stems to a manageable length, bend slightly, then poke through the hat where ever you like. As you see, I added the rhinestone trim around the hat band, above ribbon. This was so simple, fun & as stated, can be switched out for any season!

• Floral stems  (Dollar Tree)
  • Straw hat  (Dollar Tree)
  • Rhinestone trim  (Michael's(on hand))

• Missy Burch

what a great idea! like I stated in the post- you can change it up seasonally or any way you like. gotta love the options from the dollar tree or michael's especially this time of year, with homecoming stuff out!

• Susi Downs

I do like this but I think I would have either spray painted the dome or the rim. I also would probably over do it with the flowers. This also might make a real nice halloween one with a pumpkin face or maybe spray painted black. I guess the options are endless but it would be an inexpensive way to do holiday wreaths.