Refinishing Wood Furniture to Make It Look New Again With Only 2 Items

73K Views
Do you own a solid piece of wood furniture that used to look great but now it’s a little dinged up and worn? Maybe this old piece of furniture has been handed down through a few generations and might not be in the best condition anymore. Do me a favor, don’t EVER get rid of it! I see so many great pieces of solid wood furniture at thrift stores and yard sales because someone just “didn’t want to take the time to refinish it.” Guess what?! I found a super easy and cheap (probably free if you have the items on hand) hack to restore and rejuvenate wood. You will never guess the two household items that I used to refinish wood furniture to make it look new again.
Time: 5 MinutesCost: $10Difficulty: Easy
  • refinishing wood furniture to make it look new again with only 2 items
A friend of mine was moving and getting rid of a really nice solid wood desk, so I jumped on the opportunity to grab it. I loved the style of this antique piece of furniture.  The wood was in great condition, well, all but the top piece of the desk. It had obviously been used to write on. It was all scratched up and the top piece of wood was a different color than the rest of the desk.
YOU CAN SEE ABOVE THE SCRATCH MARKS AND DISCOLORATION FROM YEARS OF WEAR AND TEAR. ALTHOUGH THIS DESK WAS NOT IN TERRIBLE CONDITION, I STILL WANTED TO REFINISH THE WOOD AND MAKE IT LOOK NEW AGAIN.
SINCE I ALREADY KNEW THIS WAS A SOLID PIECE OF ANTIQUE WOOD FURNITURE, I WANTED TO FIND AN EASY WAY TO “POLISH” OR REMOVE THE SCRATCHES WITHOUT HAVING TO SAND AND RE STAIN THE WOOD.
My first thought was, “Duh, I just needed to buy polish.”  The problem with polish is that it looks great for the first hour or so after you’ve cleaned it. Once the polish has dried, the cracks come back and it looks just like it did before it was polished. Anyone else feel this way?

I needed a product that would really absorb deep into the furniture piece and remove the scratches and make it look new and refinished.
The two items that I used were:
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 olive oil
Note: I only needed less than 1/4 of this mixture for the top of this desk. If you are not doing a full furniture piece I would suggest to mix up 1 part vinegar to 1 part olive oil with enough product you think you will need. 
Mix these two ingredients and use a soft cloth to dip and rub all over the furniture. You should be able to see the scratches magically disappear!
For those of you who are visual (like myself) here is a you tube video of the process:

After I rubbed the vinegar/oil solution over the piece of furniture, I let it sit about 10 minutes. After about 10 minutes I took a dry cloth and wiped the excess moisture away. I honestly expected to see the scratches reappear, but magically about 90% of them are gone!

Who knew that a few household items would make such a difference!
For more details about this post check my blog post below.
Thanks guys!
Lindsey

Suggested materials for this project:

• Vinegar
  • Olive Oil
Lindsey