Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU
Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU
  • Bolingbrook, IL

Over the Sink Shelf From Pallet Wood

Need to find more space in my very, very small kitchen. I've always liked the idea of the over the sink shelf, but they always seem so flimsy, so we decided to make one with used pallet wood.
Over the sink window shelf made from pallet wood.
For this project, we used the 2x4 wood pieces from a very large skid.
The first thing we did was to measure the space over the sink so that we could custom cut the pieces to a workable size for our over the sink area.
We measured both the length and the height that the shelf would need to be in order to use the faucet without it being too tight of a squeeze.
over the sink shelf from pallet wood, diy, kitchen design, pallet, shelving ideas, woodworking projects, Liquid nails to attach pieces together for the top piece
The wood pieces were cut to size for both the length and height.
Next, liquid nails was used to attach pieces together for the both the top piece and the bottom "legs" of the shelf.
over the sink shelf from pallet wood, diy, kitchen design, pallet, shelving ideas, woodworking projects, Clamping and marking for screw holes
The wood pieces were then clamped to dry and screw holes were marked, counter sunk and then screws drilled in.
over the sink shelf from pallet wood, diy, kitchen design, pallet, shelving ideas, woodworking projects, Gave it a good sanding
We now had a top piece and two bottom pieces for the legs. At this point, we gave it a good sanding.
over the sink shelf from pallet wood, diy, kitchen design, pallet, shelving ideas, woodworking projects, It has come in quite handy for making use of our vertical space
It has come in quite handy for making use of our vertical space.
over the sink shelf from pallet wood, diy, kitchen design, pallet, shelving ideas, woodworking projects, Attached top piece to leg pieces
Then we Attached the top piece to leg pieces.
over the sink shelf from pallet wood, diy, kitchen design, pallet, shelving ideas, woodworking projects, Finished it off with a sun bleach stain
I finished it off with a sun bleach stain technique, inspired by another Hometalker.
Did I mention we don't have a dish washer either?
I also eventually placed dish bins on top of the shelf to help keep my very small kitchen counter area as clutter free as possible.
You can see the full tutorial in the blog post link below.
~ Thanks for checking this out ~ Amy

Amy Ellis @ StowandTellU

• Sara Jensen

Thanks great idea for a 2 year plant holder

• Nancy

I really think the shelf looks beautiful!!!!!!!!! love it I hope you. Will get great use out of it 2 thumbs up!!