Brian S
Brian S
  • Eagle, MI

Sofa Table Constructed From a Salvaged Pallet

$17.00
1 Week

I've been looking online for a used sofa table that I could use in my living room. After several weeks shopping Craigslist, used furniture stores and Facebook garage sales I hadn't found anything that I liked.
I had an 8 foot pallet that was in pretty good condition so I decided to build my own. I knew that I wanted to use only the wood from the pallet and that I didn't want the legs to look like 2 x 4's. Because I needed to rip the 2 x 4's down to 1 1/2" I couldn't have any nails left in the wood and I couldn't just cut the pallet apart. After spending several hours carefully prying and removing nails from the pallet I was ready to go.
I found two tables on Pinterest that I liked and I combined aspects of the two to make this table. Total cost after purchasing a paint sample and handles was $17.00.
This was the basic design. At this point I needed to see how the height worked with my couch.
I build a shelf for the bottom and made some drawer fronts. I stained the drawers and the edges with Minwax dark walnut so that it would show after the paint was sanded a bit.
I made some black chalk paint with a 7 oz. sample that I purchased from Menard's.
Fake drawers with cup handles that were purchased at Menard's.
The whole table including top were finished with Minwax clear wax.

• Sam

I want to make this in school but I need the exact plans, could you share?

• Brian S

Sam, The top of the table is 48" x 15" constructed of 5 boards that are 3" x 48". The front and rear aprons are 42" x 5". Side aprons are 9" x 5". Legs measure 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 31 1/2". Drawer fronts are 11 1/2" x 3". The shelf on the bottom measures 42" x 11". All of the boards used to construct the shelf are 1 1/2" wide. The end pieces are 11" long with 5 38 1/2 boards spaced evenly running between the end pieces.

• Sam

I want to try this is school but i need the exact plans, any chance you could share them?

• Brian S

Sam, The top of the table is 48" x 15" constructed of 5 boards that are 3" x 48". The front and rear aprons are 42" x 5". Side aprons are 9" x 5". Legs measure 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 31 1/2". Drawer fronts are 11 1/2" x 3". The shelf on the bottom measures 42" x 11". All of the boards used to construct the shelf are 1 1/2" wide. The end pieces are 11" long with 5 38 1/2" boards spaced evenly running between the end pieces.

• Sam

Thank you very much

• Brian S

You're welcome. Let me know if you have more questions.