How to divide rooms in a large studio condo

+12
My living room/dinning room and bed room are all one large space. I do have a separate kitchen, dressing area and bathroom . What are all the ways that I can divide the bedroom from the living / dinning room area?

• Inetia Inetia on Nov 01, 2017
    Do you own or rent?
  • Desiree Desiree on Nov 01, 2017
    You could use a rod and hang a curtain to separate the spaces. The curtain doesn't have to be fabric if privacy isn't an issue. Maybe beads, or a folding screen.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 01, 2017
    Screens - Doors - Room Divider units - Curtain - Vertical Blinds - etc.
  • Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Nov 01, 2017
    aMany thoughts: hanging curtains from the ceiling, room divider(s), bookcases, etc. Generally, an open space like this the areas are delineated by placement of furniture and the use of area rugs.

Here are some ideas for you:

Another thought is to use a Murphy bed closed up during the day.
  • Rhonda Rhonda on Nov 01, 2017
    screens are great and easy to move around for a new look like rearranging furniture 😬 You could aLways build a temporary wall out of pvc pipes and curtains or cloth or even wood but it would be heavier.
  • Elaine Elaine on Nov 01, 2017
    My daughter had the very same problem and was renting. The home owner didn’t mind my daughter mounting a drapery track between her “bedroom” area and the “living room” area. It looked great! She made curtains/drapes out of off-white sheets then placed her off-white sofa against the sheeting just as if it was a wall ... the colors blended into each other nicely and the room looked nice and bright.
  • Standing screens is one way. If you want to go further, you can do really long curtains suspended from the ceiling, or you can build free standing walls.
  • SandyG SandyG on Nov 01, 2017
    Curtains/drapery are fairly inexpensive. Will provide privacy but it is not a sound barrier. Also, check local thrift & salvage stores for old wooden doors. Attach them together and make a door screen.
  • Lisa S. Lisa S. on Nov 01, 2017
    If you own - build a shirt wall it doe snot have to touch the ceiling. If you rent. :Large bookcases side by side, backed up to another set. So there are shelves on both sides. This will make a wall.
  • Diane B Diane B on Nov 01, 2017
    You can make folding screens and place them in the spots you need them OR if the codes allow, suspend heavy drapery from the ceiling using PVC or galvanized pipe (industrial look is good). The pvc or pipe can be painted to give better eye appeal. There should be some others in Hometalk that have posted these. Just keep looking. Also try Pinterest. Good luck.
  • Tinyshoes Tinyshoes on Nov 01, 2017
    Room dividers are easy too make and could be used
  • Gjones Gjones on Nov 01, 2017
    I live in a condo. Thanks all for your wonderful suggestions.
  • Sharon Sharon on Nov 02, 2017
    My favorite is the Ikea Kallax shelving divider that you can use to display items, add baskets or fabric cubes for storage..... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70301542/
    They also have a ceiling mount track system to curtain off a corner... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79166399/
    I have also used a bunch of tall bookcases to divide a room.
  • Dennis Mattson Dennis Mattson on Nov 02, 2017
    I wanted to divide my 2nd bedroom / computer / eBay room to hide all my boxes and packing supplies.. I took the 3 sliding Mirror closet doors out of my Master Bedroom that ran along an entire wall, connected them with brackets along the top, covered them with 2 huge moving blankets I got at Harbor Freight for $5.99 each w/coupon, quickly baste stitched them along the top to the brackets, then wedged them between my desk and a bookcase.. on one end, and between 2 book cases at the other end.. Those cheap black 72" high laminate particle board kind.. ..Looks really good actually, like a wall of gray quilted fabric... Then for my Master Bedroom, I hung 2 84"curtain rods down the entire wall, and black topsheets I dyed with RIT dye in the washer, folded over on top and quickly baste stitched for a pocket for the rod.. LOTS BETTER !!!! I HATE MIRROR DOORS !!!!