Asked on Nov 18, 2017

Can you take out a wall in a mobile home and replace it with cabinets

Terra Gazelle27524803Johnavallance82
+7

It is a supporting wall but the cabinets would go right back in place

• Ok . . . What are you going to hang the cabinest onto? Does not make sense? Have the existing wall reinforced to hold the weight of the new cabinets and everything you plan to store in them. You need a contractor familiar with mobile home construction.
  • Big lulu
    Big lulu

You should call the mfg of your MH.
    Leave the wall and put cabinets in front of them.

, Something like this from Ikea
  • Mogie
    Mogie

If it is a supporting wall I would leave it alone unless you are a professional and have done that before. Cabinets are not built to hold the amount of weight a wall does. Why not fork out a few bucks and hire someone who can look at it and give you a educated answer?
    Janet Pizaro

If it is a supporting wall you cannot take it out
  • Big lulu
    Big lulu

The Ikea cabinet is 5.5 inches deep and 37 tall. Plenty of other ready made options. Google freestanding cabinets. You will need to anchor them to the wall.
  • Elizabeth
    Elizabeth

I live in a mobile home and didn’t need a second bedroom so I took the wall down. It too was a supporting wall, but I just left it wide open. in the photo I’m standing in the kitchen and where you see my black dog on the chair is where the bedroom wall once stood.
    Have fun, good luck!
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

I think you would have to Prop up the Ceiling before you took out the Wall, just to be safe rather than sorry!
  • 27524803
    27524803

NO! .. the cabinets are not designed to be support. You CAN take out the wall, but you need to put in an overhead beam to support the room.
    If you are not sure... bring in a Structural Engineer... check on HomeAdvisor.com or AngiesList.com to find a reputable one.
  • Terra Gazelle
    Terra Gazelle

yes...I took out an entertainment center from my living room..moved the wall forward to leave 10 inches used the space in the kitchen, which was the room next to the living room and built in my fridge..and created a black pipe and wood book shelf..8 foot tall and 5 1/2 foot long . I would say that the shelves filled with books probably weighs more than cabinets would. I also have a built in pot rack, two huge drawers and microwave built into the wall that was moved.
    THis is a double wide mobile home. The book shelves are not completely done , still have to put the moulding around it..and paint.You can see though the difference. In the kitchen there had been top and bottom cabinets.. that are now gone. Thankfully.