Shooting Stars

$8

Make this super easy outdoor holiday display that will make cars passing by your house stare in amazement.
Using only three pieces of wood and four boxes of white lights, you can make an outdoor decoration for the holiday season.
1: I used lathing strips which I measured and marked at the half. My strips were 48” so half is 24”.

2: Cut the strips in half using a utility knife.
3: Form a star shape as shown.
4: Using a staple gun, attach the strips at each junction.
5: Using one strand of lights, staple the lights to the strip. Only attach the lights to the star shape not the inside pieces.
6: Connect the remaining 3 strands to one corner of the star.
7: I attached my star to the trunk of a tree using zip/cable ties.

Zip/cable ties will hold the star firmly to wherever you decide to place your star.
8: The tail of the star should be higher or lower then the star. Since my star was attached low on the truck of a tree, the tail had to be high.
I zip/cable tied a pole onto my fence then zip/cable tied the star’s tail to the pole.
I have four shooting stars outside of my home. Because these are so easy and inexpensive to make, it doesn’t take a lot of time to make this car-stopping holiday display.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Tuttie

How many lights in strand?

• Doris Storlien

My Dad made one of those for me 35 years ago. Very sentimental as he passed in 2009.

• Barbara Gunther

Beautiful. Any idea why the lights that are actually on the star look so white compared to the tail?

• Cj

How do you think it would look if I painted the boards flat black? Thinking it might make the lights look brighter. ??

• Michelle Osterhout-Castle

White is going to make the lights look brighter. Black will have similar results to what they look like now. Use LED bright white light strands for a super bright white look.