Upcycled Utensil Caddy From A Plant Stand and Tin Cans

19K Views
In celebration of upcoming Earth Day on April 22nd, I thought it would be fun to challenge myself to upcycle a project out of things I only have in the house. I decided to not just use things in the house but things that were also on the way out of my house. For instance, tin cans and an old plant stand.
  • upcycled utensil caddy from a plant stand and tin cans, cleaning tips, crafts, repurposing upcycling
A plant stand + tin cans = an upcycled utensil caddy!
I am a huge fan of soup (all year round no less) so I have plenty of used cans hanging out in the recycle container. These were the basis of my project.
I knew I wanted to make the cans into a utensil caddy for the sun room so I started looking around for something to make a base. I was thinking I was going to have to break out the tools and scrap wood until my eyes landed on this old plant stand in the yard sale pile.
I immediately started unscrewing the smallest stand from the rest of the stand. Once I had it off, I turned it upside down. I was thrilled with this new use! I had found the base of my utensil caddy.
Now it was time to make it pretty! I decided to sand down the wood and restain it Dark Walnut.
Then I spray painted the cans a pretty gold.
I used putty to stick the cans to the stand.
To disguise the look of the cans a bit more I used scrap paper to cover the ridges. I seem to keep eeking projects out of scraps of paper most people would have tossed by now.
Fill it with forks, knives, spoons, and napkins and bring it outdoors for your next cookout!

Suggested materials for this project:

Megan Aubrey

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question