Upcycled Utensil Caddy From A Plant Stand and Tin Cans

In celebration of upcoming Earth Day on April 22nd, I thought it would be fun to challenge myself to upcycle a project out of things I only have in the house. I decided to not just use things in the house but things that were also on the way out of my house. For instance, tin cans and an old plant stand.
upcycled utensil caddy from a plant stand and tin cans, cleaning tips, crafts, repurposing upcycling
A plant stand + tin cans = an upcycled utensil caddy!
I am a huge fan of soup (all year round no less) so I have plenty of used cans hanging out in the recycle container. These were the basis of my project.
I knew I wanted to make the cans into a utensil caddy for the sun room so I started looking around for something to make a base. I was thinking I was going to have to break out the tools and scrap wood until my eyes landed on this old plant stand in the yard sale pile.
I immediately started unscrewing the smallest stand from the rest of the stand. Once I had it off, I turned it upside down. I was thrilled with this new use! I had found the base of my utensil caddy.
Now it was time to make it pretty! I decided to sand down the wood and restain it Dark Walnut.
Then I spray painted the cans a pretty gold.
I used putty to stick the cans to the stand.
To disguise the look of the cans a bit more I used scrap paper to cover the ridges. I seem to keep eeking projects out of scraps of paper most people would have tossed by now.
Fill it with forks, knives, spoons, and napkins and bring it outdoors for your next cookout!
Megan Aubrey

• Kathy Mulshine

Hi cute idea...what glue did you use to put paper on the can? Thanks :)

• Megan Aubrey

Honestly, I didn't use glue! I used tape and just taped them together at the edges tightly and they stayed!

• Janine Ernst

I am going to try this and out my sewing/quilting supplies in them. It is very frustrating to always be looking for my scissors, rotary cutter, pencil, rulers etc. Thanks for the inspiration. I might cover min in fabric or some cool wallpaper I have!

• Sandra L.Smith

cute project... Turn your utensils upside down to prevent passing along germs.