Landscaping Project

Landscaping Project for picnic tables. I was tired of moving the picnic tables every time I had to mow. So, I came up with this project. It's easy to do and beautiful.
landscaping project, landscape
Step 1-Pick your area and outline with a garden hose. My black hose was very flexible and perfect for the job. My squiggly edging I call it Lagoonin.
landscaping project, landscape
Step 2-A flat headed shovel. ( I have a magic shovel its doing it by itself. loling! )
landscaping project, landscape
Step 3-A close up. This shovel was left here when we moved in 16 years ago. My favorite landscaping tool EVER!!!!!!!!
landscaping project, landscape
Step 4-I dug straight down about 3 inches all along the outer hose. I know you can't see it but it's there. The deeper you go the less weeds will grow.
landscaping project, landscape
Step 5-Then I made a very small trench of the line I just made in pic 4.
landscaping project, landscape
Step 6-Start shoveling the grass up. You have to get real low, dig into the grass, lift, repeat.
landscaping project, landscape
Step 7-Almost done!
landscaping project, landscape
Step 8-I raked and leveled it with a hard rake. ALL DONE, shoveling that is.
landscaping project, landscape
Step 9-Lay your mulch down. I wore gloves, it's very messy while laying it down. Now your ALL DONE! And this is why I LOVE Landscaping. A child's wooden picnic table is going right in the middle.
landscaping project, landscape
10-part A-Here is the beginning of the 2 picnic table area. I did this area before I did the child picnic table area. Yes, my inspiration!
landscaping project, landscape
10-part B-Here is the other half of part A. It was a good size area.
landscaping project, landscape
10-part c-2 picnic table area. Mulch half way done. I don't have a finished photo but I think you get the idea of it finished.
landscaping project, landscape
11-More Lagoonin edging. I did this area the year after. My rose of Sharon, day lily and big ole frog with a sunflower umbrella. It's beautiful when the rose of Sharon blooms at the end of July.
landscaping project, landscape
12-My last photo. Rubber mulch around the above ground pool. My next project will be to paint or stain the picnic tables. Hope you enjoyed my step by step instructions. Happy Landscaping!

• Author Olivia Dannon

I have heavy winds where I live. How is the rubber mulch holding up to the wind?
  • Nicolette Munro

WWhere did you get the rubber mulch

• Mar25524757

Menards handles rubber mulch.

• Ticia

I wonder if the rubber mulch smells and how well it would hold up in really hot weather and sun.

• Tom

Home depot sells it too

• Marge.radtke

It's called Rubber Tuf. We used it under and custom made wood play set for my 2 grandchildren, I would recommend before you put it down use a cheese cloth product down first then put the rubber tuf down. It doesn't smell at all and lasts for years. The reason for the cheese cloth is to prevent any kind of mold, bugs etc that could interfer with the kids playing.

• Marge.radtke

• Christine Cajigas

I really love what you've done. It's very pretty. I also happen to love the red/burnt orange in the mulch. Does the rubber mulch hold its color longer?

• Suzy Googoo

Yes. Mine has a 10 year guarantee. But I would love for Melody to cut and mulch all my beds. That is a ton of work but the backyard looks like heaven.

• Dlb26011516

Isn't it hard to cut around?

• Linda

I Think So....!

• Linda Sikut

From her post, she said she did it to help mow around the tables without moving them. "I was tired of moving the picnic tables every time I had to mow. So, I came up with this project. It's easy to do and beautiful." You could make the edges straight if that appeals to you more.

• Dlb26011516

I read that. I am talking about the unusual shapes made with the hose.

• Eroque022810

Well I suppose you could mow straight as close to the area and then just follow the outline for one last row. But what I wonder is how she keeps mulch from mower. Even if you use a trimmer you chance having it tossed about and hit you.

• P

Is this bag like regular mulch? I have seen the rubber mulch that is like a mat you cut out but not like regular mulch. Your fence/pool area is so neat it looks like the mat. Beautiful job! Thank you for sharing.

• Dee

Yes, you can buy rubber mulch in bags, just like regular mulch.

Lowes, Home Depot etc.

• Margaret

They also sell the rubber mulch at Sam's club if you have one in your area.

• Georgia hays

A flat head shovel was mentioned but in the list of items used the shovel in the picture was had a pointed edge. Which is better?Thanks for your tips!

• Linda Sikut

George, those are ads put there by Hometalk. Sometimes they don't exactly match the project. Just use what the creator has stated in the tutorial. :)

• Gail

I love my flathead shovel. Great for all gardening projects. My husband keeps it sharp for me on the grinder.

• Linda Schulte

Flat head shovel is best. I have used this method of landscaping for 45 years. Works every time. Just make the curves large enough for the lawn mower in them.

• Linda Schulte

Flat head shovel is best. I have used this method of landscaping for 45 years. Works every time. Just make the curves large enough for the lawn mower to fit in them.

• Genalady

That type of shovel is usually referred to as a "12-Gauge Edging & Planting Spade" with a D-type handle.

Usually available at any home-improvement store or Amazon.

• Deanna Maidwell

I usually do my beds like this too... I was wondering what you do with your sod...? I've been digging a bigger trench and burying it... I got the idea from when I was younger and I watched my dad bury leaves every year in his garden when he cleaned it at the beginning of the year... It helps to level the area out too... Thanks for posting, looks nice.

• Rhonda White Cable

How did your dad bury his leaves? Please explain a little further! I have lots of leaves.

• Deanna Maidwell

My dad's family were all farmers from Tennessee(I don't know if that's where he learned this or where...)... At the end and beginning of each season, my dad would clear where he was going to have or had his vegetables and would dig a huge hole and bury the leaves and any old vegetation...

• Deanna Maidwell

• Jo

Wby rubber mulch around the pool?

• Cindy

Did you did your hose into your design? Did you leave your hose as a barrier?

• Sto9987562

No, just uses it to outline, in a flexible manner, the area to be dug. You roll your hose right back up once you’ve dug your starting trenches

• Derrick Graham

Could this idea work around a Rose bush?

• Cammie

what keeps weeds from growing thru the mulch?

• Cendy

What would you suggest for keeping Bermuda grass out of the new area??????!

• Sandy S.

Landscape fabric under mulch. Roundup spray for occasional weeds which may grow in mulch over landscape fabric

• Sherry Reitz Diamond

What did you do with the grass after you dug it up? It seems like you could replant it?.....

• Misty

You can! I've dug these trenches around my flower gardens, and then replanted the pieces in areas that were bare. Clever idea using the hose to create your design! I will be trying that next time!

• Tonya Pieri

I also want to know, when u dig and flip over the chunk of grass, won’t it keep growing grass through the mulch?

• Jean

Did not flip over! Removed it from my understanding 😊

• Jeffrey Miichael Atencio

To be precise, you should shake off the dirt in the grass and throw the remaining grass to the side.

Ultimately, you want a weed cloth or black plastic under the mulch or dirt to prevent water or sun from stimulating the grass to grow. It, of course keeps the weeds out too. Best to clear the old grass, shake out dirt, spray with weed and grass killer (be careful not to spray the grass you want to keep), lay down the weed cloth or plastic, then generously cover with choice of mulch or decoration stones.This will prevent weeds and grass from coming back for years to come. The good news is if you decide you want a change, then remove the black cloth or plastic, reseed with grass seed, water at dusk keeping the soil very wet, and watch the grass come back. Hope this helps.

• I've never had any luck with weed cloths. My front yard has it with volcanic rocks on top and it is the bane of my existence as the weeds grow through it. The index finger on my rubber gloves last about an hour trying to pick out the weeds from the rocks before getting a hole in it.

I read about using layers of newspaper instead....on this forum I think. I would rather pick the weeds from the soil than through rocks or mulch.

• Joe Jones

It depends on the weed growing and the part of the country you live in. along with the grass you dig up. Here in Florida we have a lot of st. Augustine grass once it’s up it’s up. The cloth kills and stops those useless weeds because of the heat and moisture. It’s way too hot.

The grasd is dug up below the roots which is why you do 3-4”. So it all comes up. You can plant it else where like Sod or just toss it. But it will grow anywhere if it’s being watered

hey to you Cali guys and other parts the cloth will work great if you spray and soak the dirt with a good brand weed killer.

• Sma10404649

Add 4ml plastic before anything goes on top,be sure to overlap,plastic. Leave no holes in where weeds get in. Do not buy it in a landscape store!!!! Its a lot more money in those places. I use clear,the black shows thin mulch,or stone areas.

I've done this for the last 8 years with great results,from many homeowners.

• Ann Whitfield

Was it not needed to put a rubber border or bricks between your grass edge and the mulch? If not, how do you keep the mulch winding up in the lawn and grass in you lagoon? The area looks terrific. You'll enjoy many happy times sitting at your tables.

• Jeffrey Miichael Atencio

• Helen

Don't use black plastic like i did. It provides a nice ceiling for mouse tunnels! They can tunnel right to your plants' root systems and eat them off.

• Kit Kat

I believe the question was if there was a border used to keep the mulch from getting into the lawn. I didn't see any border but it could have had an edging border that doesn't show.

• Tami Chrisman

The depth of your bed is the secret, the mulch should be just slightly lower than the existing sod. It won't come out unless you have a flooding rain that will raise the mulch and carry it over the lawn.

• Kbr16687266

If you don't use an edging, the grass will eventually grow in and your edge won't be nice and clean. Also, I use two to three inches of bark mulch, and I rarely get weeds, but I have to add about an inch of bark every year to keep it fresh as it breaks down.

• Derrick Graham

So weeds and grass won't need to be pulled anymore e if I use this method around a Rose bush?

• Eden.road

As explained, digging down 3" minimizes weeds.

• Connie

Unfortunately weeds will find a way.

• Susan

It’s called round up

• Tanne

1. I agree, round up is what we use in the south
    • Jeffrey Miichael Atencio

Ultimately, you want a weed cloth or black plastic under the mulch or dirt to prevent water or sun from stimulating the grass to grow. It, of course keeps the weeds out too. Best to clear the old grass, shake out dirt, spray with weed and grass killer (be careful not to spray the grass you want to keep), lay down the weed cloth or plastic, then generously cover with choice of mulch or decoration stones.This will prevent weeds and grass from coming back for years to come. The good news is if you decide you want a change, then remove the black cloth or plastic, reseed with grass seed, water at dusk keeping the soil very wet, and watch the grass come back. Hope this helps. I live in the South (LA) and to plant roses like we do, just cut a hole in the cloth or plastic. When using the grass killer, do it early ( a few weeks) and then plant. READ the DIRECTIONS on the BOTTLE for the amount of time you have to wait before replanting new plants or grass. Or simply don't use the weed and grass killer spray and cut the cloth as close as possible to the trunk of the rose bush then stake it down to keep the cloth from moving around. Water will penetrate the cloth. Don't have to use black plastic if you don't want to.

• Nancy Nardone

Round up is the biggest cancer causing poison you can ever use. It should be banned in the U.S We are always last to ban these cancerous agents. Please look into roundup before using it. Cancer is no fun as I have it and would have done a lot of things different.

• Tami Chrisman

Weeds are always a problem, they can and will root in mulch. Volcano rock, gravel and mulch must be kept clean or the debris will deteriorate into enough compost for weed seeds to root on top of the bed covering.

• Sjn12488509

WHY BURY THE HOSE ?WHAT IS THE PURPOSE

• Pat Newland Lanzer

Just where did it say to bury the hose?

• Jeanie

You don't bury the hose. You use it to "draw" the curved border. It's flexible so you can position it until you get a shape you like, then ise the shovel to mark it out.

• Shirleyhrabar

thank you

• Sjn12488509

What is the purpose of the hose ?????? I seen the trench

• Wanda sinnema

to lay out your digging line and find a shape you like prior to starting sod removal.It gives you a clean pro looking edge

• Sjn12488509

• Wanda sinnema

You can also use spray paint to mark the grass where you want to remove sod..

• M.N. Bushman

Using the hose gives you an idea of how the area will look. I lay the hose, and if I think I need to change the shape of my future flower bed, I can. After I get the line I want, I spray-paint along side the hose. I can move the hose out of the way and start digging.

• Lailasultani

I’m not a garden person at all I always ask for help from gardener n they cost a lot, my yard is very old n it’s hard to dig in by my weak knees, lol. What’s ur recommendations?

• Nancy Buckman

I know i use either a weeder tool (looks like a big flat head screwdriver with a V) or at lowes i got a new tool about 2' long that has hoe & fork on other end. They do great at ripping out Bermuda grass or weeds while i sit on a cushion. No knees needed!

• Paco Soluri

Where are you located, I could do it for you cheap?

• Sue Parker

What do you use to keep the weeds from coming through the mulch?

• Bernadine Tompkins

I've tried landscape cloth and found it's a good way to get rid of old newspapers, shredded mail and cardboard boxes and does just as good for a lot less $$. After several years either start to break down as does your mulch. I also believe in pulling an individual weed (early on) instead of polluting our water with weed/humanity killers.

• Sharise Briggs

And the answer of the year award goes to.... Bernadine Tompkins. 😍😘😍

• Lisa Kovac

I use large black leaf bags, works great

• Lisa Sinclair

You can pour boiling water on small weeds,and then let them die, and pop em right out if there. But other then that , I'm on team Bernadine Thompkins!

• John Westover

Put cardboard or newspaper on top of the soil and underneath the mulch. It will retard the weeds and the paper or cardboard will eventually decompose and feed the soil.

• Sarah Nance

I did some landscape in my front yard even put down the paper but I still get grass growing in it have sprayed it's such sadness to see this after such hard work

What to do? Thank you 💛

• Eva

Apple cider vinegar an baking soda with peroxide

• Jenny Wright Montford

I just spray directly with white vinegar. The next day they are dead :-)

• SusyD

Air born seeds will still grow in the mulch.

• Jeanette S

In about mid to late February, put down preemergence. It keeps seeds from coming up.

Edging has to be kept up constantly...it can be done with a weed eater. Weeds will come up. A manicured yard requires constant work!

• Our local garden center sells a product you can sprinkle on the mulch that prevents seedlings from sprouting

• Rus33385722

Where did you put the mulch?

• MB

Great idea! Lookes lovely and inviting. May I ask about your vines on the fence? Certainly softens the aea and hides the chain link.

• Sharon

Is it safe to rubber mulch fruit trees?

• Janet Forst

No. Water needs to seep to the roots. There are many small roots near the surface of any tree and they all need water. Natural wood mulch is the best as it won't hurt the root system. Rubber can leave chemical residue.

• Bonnie Turner

The vine on the far end looks like ivy. I have some on my fence. I love it. However, I keep an eye on the little tendrils to make sure they don't attach to my peach tree or crawl all over the area. It really covers my chain link beautifully. The other one is really pretty but I don't know for sure what it is. To me it sort of looks like a sweet potato vine.

• Bonnie Turner

I'm sorry. This was for a post just above yours. My Bad!

• Willie Simpson

It looks wonderful. So you don't need any edging material?

• Kristine M. Holmgren

If you edge deep enough, and turn over your soil adequately, you do not need “edging.” AND your yard looks more natural, more inviting!

• Maralyn bullion

My landscape lady used the hose trick and she sprayed round up on the grass under the hose to help while getting the mulch placed.

• Lori Dumm

Can you also use a Sod Cutter ?

• MaryAnn B

however you get the sod up works. I also would recommend putting newspaper or cardboard down to keep the grass from sprouting thru. I would use some kind of edging to keep the grass from encroaching . I dug my trench even with the top of the grass and then placed bricks down along the edge of the grass. Great for running the lawn mower over and keeping everything neat....

• Lori Dumm

Thankyou

• Bj

So what does this treatment do for you? Does it mean that the tables stay put because there is no grass that needs watering? So it saves on water as well as energy and time of moving and replacing the table(s)?

• Babs

How did you soften up the ground to dig? We have exceptionally hard soil with rocks.

• Cdemby Tony

Inspiring and beautiful if you have a large area. But, what do you do to keep the weeds from growing inside the project? Do you buy that special type of rubbery material to place underneath the mulch? Or does the mulch prevent weeds from growing.

• Sylvia

I have rubber mulch in my entire yard except for where I wanted grass and yes it keeps the weeds from growing. You just have to make sure you put a good layer on top of the soil. You don't have to add topsoil or work in the soil underneath. It's the easiest mulch to lay down , lightweight, and doesn't fade or decompose, so you never have to replace it or top it up.

• Irene Cousineau

I've heard and read that if the ground is scattered with salt, nothing will grow there for many years. Worth a try and inexpensive to spread salt on the ground where you will be placing the mulch.

• NanaWells

I have a very big yard this would be ideal !! We have been looking for new things to do this summer after the ground thaws out just curious though I see you have above ground pool in this project but in others it shows in ground do you have 2 pools ? 😊

• Jeanne Martin

I looked back over the pics and I don't see an in-ground pool in any of them. Which pics are you referring to?

• NanaWells

I clicked on her name and went into other projects

• Linda

It is an above ground pool and in the photo.

• NanaWells

Not this project another one

• Bryan

Who cares? Maybe she moved or perhaps she does have a second pool. I think the the emphasis and focus is on the project. I have two homes, I don’t see any need to explain why one house is white and the other is brick.

• NanaWells

Bryan I didn't ask to start anything I was just curious, I told husband maybe one for the adults and one for the kids it's not a big deal, it was not said in meanness or anything her yard is beautiful

• Phillip

The pic of the in ground pool has a date on the side it says Sep 73 so it must of been pics of her parents digging the pool so I'm sure she is one of the kids in the pool you can tell it's very old pic .

• NanaWells

Thanks Phillip I didn’t see that 😊👍

• Cinda Besrdsley

Does this mulch get hot? If so does it kill the Perennials?

• Dianne Nelson

It does not get hot.

• P J

The mulch color lasts but the material used to make it is chipped recycled rubber tires. We have some and I wish we did not. Lots of toxins.

• Annette

I have had rubber mulch in an area for several years. Was surprised the first year when our dog ran across it and cut her feet on pieces of steel belt and glass belt that were imbedded in the rubber.

• Pat Manookian

They use this type of mulch in 2 good size parks I take my grandson to. I have never found any steel belts or glass sheds in it. Maybe there are different types of rubber mulch? He throws handfuls all the time and we have never had an issue.

• GrandmaHoney

Great idea to use along my stockade fence. Perfect spot for a row of various hostas and shade plants that will look better than the sparse grass that is there now. I am concerned about the rubber mulch, as I know nothing about it’s composition. Will it be harmful to the soil or planet over time?

• Trish

To my knowledge, rubber mulch is okay. Our daughter has 3 children & runs an in-home daycare. Her husband designed & built a playground for all the kids using the rubber mulch. It is softer to fall on than wood mulch. Doesn't breakdown & need to be replaced each spring. Their corgi dog is safe in it, too. As far as long-term & environmental impact, I haven't heard anything negative. I think I read where it is cleaned up old rubber tires. At least they're not being dumped in landfills! It's more expensive than wood mulch, but it's a recycled, almost completely permanent item!

• Tammy

Do you remove the hose?

• Ella Frierson Bond

LOL !!

• Robin Demers Daigle

Lol..

• Pamela D Alley

No, you leave it there for watering

• Lisa

Of course

• Marianne

Tammy, the hose was just used like a stencil to make a border to dig. She wanted the landscaping to have a wavy look as opposed to a straight line. I understand why you would ask. I was thinking the same thing until I read all the steps. Whoever did my landscaping used black plastic edging. I first thought that the hose would be used for edging.

• Stephanie

i can’t wait to try this. Would a plastic sheeting keep the weeds down before mulching or would that be a bad idea?

• Osbelia Echeverria

Rose of Sharon ok for aLongIslad New York /?

• Mary Clark

Yes. They are hardy.

• Mary

Yes. They thrive in this area. I've had mine for 7 years in NJ.

• Karen Karlen

I've had them be successful at three different houses in Maine, so you should be fine. They do like light, leaf out later than most and need to be pruned back every year after they go dormant or the branches will break from the weight of the flowers. I cut mine back by a third after they go dormant for the winter.

• Joyce T

I live in Minnesota where it is common to get to way in the minus below 0. I have had rose of Sharon for 8 years now. It is doing great.

• Sandra

I used to live in Michigan and I had a beauty. I planted it in memory of my mother because she loved them so much. I can l you it was FULL of flowers all summer. So yep they grow great in the north.

• Bunnie

What keeps the grass from growing where the mulches is.

• Deloris Barker-Houk

Put down a landscape fabric. I also put Preen down every spring before I mulch. I put it under my landscape fabric too.

• Nancy

I'd be putting landscape fabric or plastic down prior to mulching.

• Sherry Maifeld-Cash

I was told plain newspaper keeps weeds from growing...?!

• Renee

I would like to know too!!

• Fran Valente Lowell

All of the above ideas are good ... the landscaping fabric will deteriorate over time. However, she dug 4 inches down where the weeds' roots do not grow. Lots of work but beautiful in the end. Nice job Melody!

• Alicia

Should be the black plastic material under the moulch, and if you have gophers, must be first metal before plastic

• Tracey Taylor Rodgers

Looks great! I can't wait to play in the dirt and I think I will try "lagooning" as well! Thanks for sharing!

• Becky Crawford Compton

Lay plastic down and cover with mulch

• Johnetta

Landscape plastic

• Ginny

Lay old cardboard boxes down then mulch. Good for dirt and really blocks weeds. Did whole garden paths this way.

• Sandra

They make a rubberish kind off edging that can follow even in a circle.

• Patsy

I would purchase a really good ground cloth. Look on the roll to see how many years it is supposed to block weeds. I'm 70 years old, so I figure a 20 year ground cloth will work for me just fine! LOL I put a good ground cloth under ALL my mulch projects. BTW...be careful about putting wood mulch close to your house! You don't want to invite termites, nor do you want to keep saturating the mulch with toxic insecticide to keep ants and termites away!

• Joelle

How do i save projects?

• Tracy

Just hit the share button in the searchbar at the top of page and search your own name in messenger and send to yourself

• Jennifer Lynne Vitello

You can send them to yourself in messenger

• Ray

Is the hose buried under the ground?

• Susan

I think the hose was simply the guide for the shape.

• Jose

Lol really? Sorry it’s used as a marker to cut out the pattern to put the mulch

• Ramona

Jose,

Ray had an honest question.. 🤔!

At first I thought the same thing.

That she was digging an irrigation system, and would be poking holes in the hose before burying it.

• Jean

How do you keep up with the lagooning. I have some along my edging that I am considering changing to slightly curved instead. To many "lagoons" for a riding mower to in and out of.

• Shirley

That’s a good idea wish I New that 50 years ago love your idea 💡

• A. Mililani

I love your projects! Did you make up the name "lagooning"? Can you show us better pics of your pool!! 😅 Aloha! mililani 😘♥️🌴 😅

• Luz Llamas

I didn’t get it. I must be missing something. Is the hose connected to the facet? Does it go to the pool?

• Doris Storlien

The hose appears to be what was used to outline the area that was dug out.

• Nicki

The hose is just used to make a shape for the garden

• Doris Storlien

Step 1 said the hose was layed out after watering the area, which made it easier to dig up.

• Cindy Howard

The waterhose is just to water or moisen the ground and then laid out as a pattern to follow while digging up the sod.

• Brooklyn

Its for the outline to get the squiggly line

• SHEILA CROWE

The hose is the pattern for any shape or design you wish, you can make small waves large waves or a circle around the pool, swing sets, tree or bushes, cut out your pattern you designed and you apply your mulch or stones or even sand. I've also make the design with heavy rope, Then I would take flour that you would cook with and follow the rope or hose by sprinkling the flour along the inside of the pattern. Then cut the edge of your shape from OUTSIDE edge INWARD were you dont want any grass or weeds to return. With using a rope it can be more flexible and makes more easier shapes.》 OVAL, ROUND, HEART SHAPE, what ever you want to come up with. I really hope that this helps you. If you have any more question, I would love to help. You can find me on Facebook, Messenger or E-mail.

Im not a professional, I just love to work outside my home and to make it as beautiful as I can without all the extra work.

TY, SHEILA CROWE

• Debra Poe

Did you notice at one angle of the area looks like a face? It's cool looking. Wouldn't all those curves make mowing harder or do you just weedeat that area? Still pretty and I'm sure the whole yard is beautiful.

• SHEILA CROWE

What I do is: Before i get started i like to make my design, I like to start a pattern with my mower, approximately were I want the pattern to be and the way I want to cut it. This way you know how the mower can nicely go around what you do not want to keep mowing, weeding or trimming. It makes mowing easier, Then I use a hose or heavy rope following the design I cut with the mower. Follow the inside edge of your design.

I hope this helped, you can reach me on FACEBOOK, MESSENGER AND E-MAIL.

SHEILA CROWE

• Desrine

Is the grass hard to remove

• Karen

No. Not this way. I did this last week before I read this post. My lawn was St. Augustine grass. Bit I found a product that glues the mulch so you are able to use a blower. Mulch lock.

• Marilyn

If you wet it first. I have Bermuda grass and it is a bit challenging.

• Debra LoCicero

What a great idea, I am going to try this. My question is this,, do you have to lay a barrier of some sort down before the mulch to stop weeds from growing?

• Agnieszka Ramsay

It will help greatly!

• Patricia

In my experience, also add Preen....then cover with landscaping black out cloth.....add mulch.....and sprinkle again with Preen.

• Cynthia Sue

I was going to ask her the same question, it just seems normal to me that after she did all that shoveling & leveling that I would lay weed barrier down.

• Deborah

I was thinking about that. It only makes sense to lay down a barrier like landscaping paper.

• Sue Boyd

Newspapers would work also.

• Michele HerrNeckar

Card board boxes would work great and they are usually free. They will biodegrade after a year or two they are dual duty.

Also the shovel you are using is called a spade. Love the idea thanks for sharing it.

• Vickie Donaldson

It would help as a weed preventer to put black landscaping cloth down.

• Diane

Just use paper trash bags

• Richie

if you do this for you right flowers why couldn't you drill small holes for a sprinkler system

• Carmel Madden

Omg you done a super job how long did it take you,,,I love the garden,but I have osteoporosis arthritis in my joints very painful but I dnt let it stop me,,,my garden is my pride and joy,but seeing your puts mine to shame

• Joanne Cole

Does the grass and the weeds know it is not supposed to cross that line? If so I need to know what kind of grass you put down.