Debbie
Debbie
  • Glen Mills, PA

Cathedral Mirror Barn Door Joanna Gaines Inspired

$300

I have a very small hall bath & the door opens into the bathroom, taking up even more space, so I wanted to replace it with a sliding door. I bought an arched mirror on clearance and mounted it to MDF, framed it out and added trim and molding on sides for privacy.

I purchased the MDF from Home Depot and they cut all the pieces to size for me. I bought the barn door hardware on Amazon. I am pretty handy,
cathedral mirror barn door joanna gaines inpired
Here's the mirror from Kirklands.
I mounted it on MDF 9” wider and 11” higher than the mirror. I painted the top of the MDF board prior to assembly for easier painting after.
I had the MDF cut to size to frame out the mirror.
Here's the installed and completed door!
Here's a view of it closed.
View from down the hall.
View half open.
To cover where the hinges and door latches enter the door jamb, I just covered each side with toe kick and caulked around the edges.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 15, 2018 10:51 PM - More info

• Jil33702439

What does the back of the door look like

• Debbie

plain White Door. Because I preferred to keep the trim I have not found a barn door latch that works. So for me when the door is closed it’s in use. Didn’t want the look of hook and eye closure. That may not work for you. Could have used recessed hardware to open and close but I used just the back plate of a cabinet knob. Used just one washer behind the backplate so it was raised just enough that you can push it open or closed. I liked the scrolled design of the back plate.

• Julie

What did you add for a grip on the bathroom side of the door to slide it open? If a handle was added it would block the door from sliding all the way to the left. Thank you.

• Lea Agopian

I love this. Want to make it for my daughters room. Where did you get the cathedral door facade.