Debbie
Debbie
  • Glen Mills, PA

Cathedral Mirror Barn Door Joanna Gaines Inspired

$300

I have a very small hall bath & the door opens into the bathroom, taking up even more space, so I wanted to replace it with a sliding door. I bought an arched mirror on clearance and mounted it to MDF, framed it out and added trim and molding on sides for privacy.

I purchased the MDF from Home Depot and they cut all the pieces to size for me. I bought the barn door hardware on Amazon. I am pretty handy, but installing the hardware was challenging. It may have been just the one I bought because I had to make modifications. Look for one with easy installation.
cathedral mirror barn door joanna gaines inpired
Here's the mirror from Kirklands.
I mounted it on MDF 9” wider and 11” higher than the mirror. I painted the top of the MDF board prior to assembly for easier painting after.
I had the MDF cut to size to frame out the mirror.
Here's the installed and completed door!
Here's a view of it closed.
View from down the hall.
View half open.
To cover where the hinges and door latches enter the door jamb, I just covered each side with toe kick and caulked around the edges.

• Lisa

What did you use to hold everything together? Glue? Nails?

• Judy E

How did you attach the mirror to the MDF and the MDF to the door? Looks great!

• Debbie

Attached mending brackets to the back of the mirror. Mending brackets extend out from mirror then screwed the other side of mending bracket into MDF which is covered by trim pieces. I did hollow out the trim pieces a little to allow for the thickness of the bracket.

• Bambilynn Stewart

Hi

I was wondering what size the hardware for the bottom is. I purchased some from

Amazon but my husband said it was too big. Any ideas?

Bambi

• Debbie

I used small bronze L brackets. I thought they were less conspicuous.

• Joan Hornung

Beautiful finish! I'm wanting to do this to my laundry room door for the same reason - the swinging door takes up too much room on the wall I could use for storage or hooks for hanging items. You did a great job!

• Patricia

I want my old house back!!! This would have been perfect for my hall halg bath! Beautiful!