Debbie
Debbie
  • Glen Mills, PA

Cathedral Mirror Barn Door Joanna Gaines Inspired

$300

I have a very small hall bath & the door opens into the bathroom, taking up even more space, so I wanted to replace it with a sliding door. I bought an arched mirror on clearance and mounted it to MDF, framed it out and added trim and molding on sides for privacy.

I purchased the MDF from Home Depot and they cut all the pieces to size for me. I bought the barn door hardware on Amazon. I am pretty handy,
cathedral mirror barn door joanna gaines inpired
Here's the mirror from Kirklands.
I mounted it on MDF 9” wider and 11” higher than the mirror. I painted the top of the MDF board prior to assembly for easier painting after.
I had the MDF cut to size to frame out the mirror.
Here's the installed and completed door!
Here's a view of it closed.
View from down the hall.
View half open.
To cover where the hinges and door latches enter the door jamb, I just covered each side with toe kick and caulked around the edges.

• Did you install a lock and if so can you post pictures?

• MaryDee Moore

I also would like to know what the other side looks like. I wonder if another mirror could be added. Great vision!

• Debbie
      Yesterday

Please see other responses to this question. A mirror will probably not work on the inside of the door. Not enough clearance

• Alison
    14 hours ago

Hi! I wanted to do a sliding barn style door on my bathroom off the living room because the door takes up so much of my bathroom and I really like the look, but everyone keeps say I dont want to do that... Because it doesnt close all the way around like a traditional door for privacy and smell issues. Do you know anyway around these issues?

• Debbie
      31 minutes ago

My door when closed over laps the door trim by half an inch. So you can not see in. As far as smell. When you open the door after doing your business the smell will enter the space anyway unless you stay in there for a while. I have a very good exhaust fan which also muffles the sound.