Dropped of Desk

3.2K Views
A friend of mine was about to send this beauty to the trash, she didn’t have room for it anymore. She called me and asked if I wanted it, well heck yes don’t throw it away let me look at it I told her. Next thing I know within minutes of hanging up the phone with her, her son is delivering it to me
Time: 2 DaysCost: $15Difficulty: Easy
  • dropped of desk
First thing I did was smile, I couldn’t believe she gave me this and was throwing it away. I immediately took before photos and started cleaning it with TSP. This is a great cleaner to prep furniture it gets all the gunk off. I then realized oh goodness this has been previously painted with latex paint ugh!!! I don’t like latex paint it peels. So I went ahead and sanded all the old dried up drips and peeling areas With my electric sander and 100 grit sandpaper. I Cleaned up the hardware in vinegar overnight and scrubbed it the next morning.
  • dropped of desk
Once I had all the old latex paint smoothed out, I began painting with my homemade chalk paint. It’s a mixture of warm water & calcium carbonate and warm water into a sour cream type consistency. Once that was mixed I poured it into my Walmart brand paint & primer in one in a light gray color. Then began to paint over the old latex paint. Once it was done I painted the top and hardware in a darker gray I had previously mixed up.
  • dropped of desk
  • dropped of desk
  • dropped of desk
  • dropped of desk
  • dropped of desk
Once all dry I sealed it with water based polycrylic,I think it looks better with a fresh coat of paint.
  • dropped of desk
  • dropped of desk

Suggested materials for this project:

• TSP cleaner, electric sander, 100 grit sandpaper, Walmart paint and primer in one, calcium carbonate, polycrylic  (Lowes, Walmart)
  • TSP cleaner, electric sander, 100 grit sandpaper, Walmart paint and primer in one, calcium carbonate, polycrylic