Laundry Basket Holder

$75

We converted an old sink cabinet base into a functional laundry basket holder and work area in our small laundry room. New wood shelves were added to provide extra pantry storage.
When we moved into our new house four years ago I was excited to have a walk in laundry room. No more bi-folding doors. Yay! But I quickly realized this laundry room's design was just as flawed as my previous one. It was an awkward layout, the shelf and cabinet were hung too high, and there was no place to set a laundry basket down which led me to setting it in the utility sink most of the time.
So I finally decided we would convert the utility sink into a functional laundry basket holder. And yeah, I can hear you now. "But you gave up a utility sink!!!" Since we had never, ever used it in four years we decided it was something we could live without. Fortunately we have a deep wet bar sink located right outside of the laundry that we use to wash hands or soak laundry. We started out by turning the water supply off underneath the sink and then testing it to make sure it was actually turned off. We then disconnected the plumbing, removed the p trap, and capped off the water supply.
We removed the countertop then popped out the false drawer fronts before we cut out the I-beam. We decided to leave the plumbing in place in case the next homeowners preferred a utility sink. (For specific detailed instructions on each step of the process please refer to the blog post.)
We used 2x12's for the countertop because we liked the look although this did run up the cost of the project. We used 1x12's for the lower and middle shelfs. After dry fitting the shelves, I stained and sealed them for long lasting protection. It's been about 6 months now and the stained shelves have held up beautifully to things being dragged across them frequently.
This cabinet base can hold four regular sized laundry baskets or two hip hugger baskets with room for storage on the other side.
Extra pantry storage was added in above the washer/laundry basket holder. I'm still fine tuning things to make them more functional but I'm still super happy with all of the extra storage space we created.

• 2x12's
  • 2x4'x
  • 1x12's