Anybody know how to tell the age and maker of a table

+13
I found this in a dump I know it's probably mid 1900s but I'm curious
q anybody know how to tell the age and maker of a table
  • Sharon Sharon on Mar 21, 2018
    if there is a name on it you can google that maker! If not see if a local antique dealer can look at it
  • Mogie Mogie on Mar 21, 2018
    Sorry but the pic posted only shows the table legs.
  • Genevasturdivant Genevasturdivant on Mar 21, 2018
    My Mother had an antique shop for years. From looking at this and what I learned from her, it is more 1800’s era. Can you tell what kind of wood it is made of?,also, the lock on the bottom is to unlock it and put in 1 or 2 extra leaves.
    If you refinish it, this could mark down the value...you could always find out what kind of wood it is and make some leaves to match.

• Agree with Genevasturdivant don't refinish it.
  • Emily Emily on Mar 21, 2018
    It looks like Oak to me. The legs look too light weight for what must have been a number of leaves. The length of the sliders would indicate more than one or two. Wonder if by any chance the legs have been replaced?
    • Arias E Vic Arias E Vic on Mar 21, 2018
      I got the same answer from somebody else but it doesn't look like bigger legs would fit were they go but you absolutely could be right and it is oak i believe thank you for your input
  • Joanne lueke Joanne lueke on Mar 21, 2018
    Typically those blocks on the underside of the table (With the big bolt in the center) is where the legs would be attached to the table. The legs would have been larger than the legs currently on the table and would have been strong enough to support at least one leaf. I am a former antique furniture dealer (but not an expert on American antique furniture) and would estimate it's age to be 1920's or 30's. Hope this helps.
    • See 1 previous
      I hope I was helpful in some way. If you don't want to strip the finish you can buy at Home Depot, Lowes or online at Amazon a product called Howard's Restor-a-finish and follow the directions on the can. It will make that table sparkle like new! Good luck.
  • Laura Cooper Laura Cooper on Mar 21, 2018
    I would agree with it being oak from the grain. When I've researched antiques, I type in to Google something like "oak antique table (mark you can read)". Then click on the images tab and scroll through until you see a photo with any matching detail. Look for the leg profile, the latch design or the mark. When you find something similar, try to go to the website where the photo came from. Glean everything you can from that site. Maker, years in business, type of table, etc. Then repeat your research adding in the details you've learned. It is time intensive, but you would be shocked to find out what you can learn in an hour and from reading craigslist, etsy and ebay posts. Gradually you can then narrow your search as your knowledge grows.
  • Sharon Sharon on Mar 22, 2018
    i would try to contact an antique dealer/shop and see if someone could come take a look at it!
  • Sharon Sharon on Mar 25, 2018
    Then I would try a local antique dealer! Good luck