Lavanda
Lavanda
  • Hoquiam, WA
Asked on Mar 27, 2018

When to put out nectar for humming bids?

MillymollyTAMMY SPALSBURYChubby58
+8

• Mine are out year round, I have 6 feeders. Now is a good time. Change food frequently if not drained by birds. You do not want it to get moldy!

• Linda Sikut

Hi Lavanda,
    According to the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, hummingbirds start appearing in WA in May. That would be the time to start putting out nectar.
  • Claudia Angulo Pope

"Put feeders up by mid-March to attract early migrants--a week or two later in the northern U.S. and Canada, a week or two earlier along the Gulf Coast (see average arrival dates at Migration Map). DON'T wait until you see your first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the spring, which may be well after the first ones arrive." refer to link for source info: www.rubythroat.org/feedinghintsmain.html
  • Hotheadzmarine.williamson

depends on your location... here in Texas it is now.
  • GrandmasHouseDIY

I put mine out as soon as it stops freezing at night, I had a glass hummingbird feeder crack on me because I put it out too early one year!
  • Sven

I live close to the Southern Oregon coast and have feeders out all year. Keep the nectar fresh and change it after a couple of weeks. We have just a couple Anna's hummingbirds that over winter and then in March the Rufus hummingbirds arrive. Depending on where you live would determine when to put out the feeders.
  • Mogie

I live in Southern Oregon and my dad keeps feeders out all year long. Just keep them clean and full.

for the correct answer what is your location.Ca.and warmer climates can have them out all year round.not in a cold climate
  • Chubby58

I put mine out around the end of May in Va.
  • TAMMY SPALSBURY

summer

• Millymolly

In California I feed them through the winter, some do not migrate.