How to Make an Easy Chicken Wire Cloche

$10

Ok,so gardening with chickens can be amazing, they provide pest control, they weed like champions and their manure… oh, glorious chicken manure is pure gold for the garden. But, gardening with chickens can be a double-edged sword. They are like tiny organic rototillers in the garden, they toss mulch everywhere and can devour young perennials before they even get a chance to get going.

Believe it or not,
how to make an easy chicken wire cloche
What you’ll need to make a chicken wire cloche:
  • Standard Gauge Chicken Wire
  • Form-fitting leather work/garden gloves
  • Wire cutters
  • A form of your choosing I’ve used a large jug and a ball vase
  • make sure it’s big enough to cover your plant
  • Measuring tape, for this task I prefer a flexible one like for sewing.
  • Metal landscaping pin or tent peg
how to make an easy chicken wire cloche
Step 1: Measure your form and cut a piece of wire slightly larger than your form (say 2-3 inches larger on all sides).
how to make an easy chicken wire cloche
Step 2: Stretch your wire around the form and make it nice and tidy. Begin twisting in the ends to create a sturdy shape
how to make an easy chicken wire cloche
Step 3: Pinch and twist the bottom layer to create a sturdy flat base. I used my counter to ensure the base was level and sturdy.
how to make an easy chicken wire cloche
Step 4: Place cloche over your favorite perennials and secure them with a mental pin to make sure the little cluckers don’t knock it over.
how to make an easy chicken wire cloche
This solution will work while your plants are young, but they will eventually outgrow the cloche, but at least by then, the plant will be mature enough to handle a little nibbling.

Do you garden with chickens? Do you have any hot tips for me? Please share them below.

And if you like this you'll love my other articles, check them out.

Thanks for hanging out!

Jana
Jana The Hip Homestead

• Rosalie Rogers

I have been thinking of how I can protect my vegetable seedlings from critters and this will solve my problem! Thanks!!! Easy to understand instructions. Great post.

• Jana The Hip Homestead

Thanks Rosalie! I was making them for my garden and thought

"hey, other folks might need these too!" :)

Happy Spring,

Jana